Pre 60k petrol tank

After about a years break, I have finally returned to finishing the rebuild that I started about fourteen years ago!  My current focus is the fuel tank.

When I took the car apart, the tank was supported on odd bits of wood and mostly held in place by some clearly home-made straps.  What I now realise is that I have a post- 60k tank, but my car is pre- 60k hence the dodgy fittings.  I therefore have a couple  of questions:

1. Whilst it would clearly be better to fit the right tank for the body, is there a better and acceptable way to fit a post- 60k tank into to a pre-60k shell?

2. Assuming I go for a replacement tank, what is the consensus on those currently available?   I fancy aluminium, but note that the two widely recommended manufacturers are now not in the game, and also note concerns in respect of the internal plumbing for the breather.

3. Does anyone have a good pre 60k tank surplus to requirements?

All thoughts and wisdom gratefully received.

Dave.