Wheels and tyres

The previous owner of my 4A has fitted 195/60 tyres to 4.5J wires. Believe it or not they actually don't look odd however obviously I need to change them.

I'm thinking of getting some 5.5J centre locking "minilites" as replacements.

is 185/70 definitively the correct rolling radius for the 4/4A ? That would be around an inch bigger than the wheels I have at present which might present clearance problems, particularly with the wider track of the knock on wheels - you can see the sort of clearance I have at the moment in the attached.

Tempted to use the 195/60s on the minilites but I guess they are 10mm too big for the 5.5J, strictly speaking?

185/70 gives the original dameter.

I have these on my 4 with wires, the arches are nicely filled and nothing bangs. If you ae changing your rolling diameter then be aware the previous owner may have changed or recalibrated your speedo also, so that would need to be changed back as well.

I found this place quite handy when thinking about diameters, 5-60 versus 165, profiles etc. Mind I found it before I found the forum :rolleyes:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

195 section on a 4 1/2" rim is way too much. The 4A shares most suspension components common with the 5 & ultimately the 6; I don’t know for sure but if they will fit under the arches, go for 6J Minilites or KN replicas; these, in my view, are certainly the ultimate for the 6. They are very good & those 6” rims allow you to fit 195/65 section tyres which are the best match to the original tyre rolling radius; or with 6" rims, you could go even wider with 60 aspect ratio if that’s what rocks your boat. But spare a thought for the stub axle & those poor wheel bearings, they will be OK if checked & adjusted regularly but those wider wheels/tyres will put extra load on them. You may have to fettle the suspension to prevent fouling on full lock but it is achievable but I would never recommend fitting spacers!

The centre locking minilites are quite heavy, and be carefull of cheap bolt ons, some of these will not fit without spacers and have an inferior finish, I know of two members who have tried these and returned them, the better ones have a more rounded profile.

Unless your splined hubs are in very good condition I would remove them , fit new studs and buy standard bolt on minlites, you dont need to have a centrelocking spare then and you can use locking wheelnuts.

Chris

Hi Chris. I had considered this, partly because of the expense of the knock on minilites and partly because of their weight.

The thing that put me off was the hassle of returning to full length studs. Also the splined adaptors have got less than 200 miles on them so I shouldn't get accelerated wear on new knock ons.

However I know I would never re-fit the 4.5 wires so I may revisit the bolt on option. What brand of bolt on wheel would you recommend?

andy

Hi Andy, best fit with no spacers are compomotive, some from Midland wheels appear ok depending on tyre size, not quite the same offset. My 4A has newish (4years) wires with 185x70x15 tyres, but if I did change I would go for the compomotives. You will sell your wires easier if you have the splined hubs to sell as well, and the short studs.

Chris

I am running 6X15 Superlites and I have 205/65/15 inch tyres on the back and 195/65/15 tyres on the front. I have lowered the suspension 1" at the front and 1.5" at the back. I havent had any problems with clearance to the guards and the roads here in Nothern Queensland can give your suspension and lower spine a real workout. The program I used to work out the rolling circumference of tyres said that the 205/.65 is the same rollin circumferance as the original cross plys.