Grill surrounding strip

Hi again all,

Just noticed that the strip of plastic coated metal that surrounds the front grill on my 6 is cracked and the plastic coat is flaking off - the metal strip underneath is rusty, but then I guess it would be :)

Just looking into how to replace this, any tips/pointers appreciated.

That’s the problem with plastic coatings; as soon as they get chipped, the water gets in & rusts the metal underneath & then it all flakes off in huge chunks. I had the same problem when restoring my car. I don’t think you can get the surround on it’s own & the complete grill is quiet expensive. Apart from being a bit rusty, the grill surround was still in fairly good condition so I stripped it all of, cleaned it up, replaced a broken fixing stud, primed & sprayed it matt black & then polished it with T cut. The fished result looks identical to the original plastic sheen & I’d defy anyone to notice. Similarly, I also stripped, cleaned, etched & sprayed the aluminium egg box grill centre section. With a new enamel badge & rechromed badge surrround it looks as new.

Hi Richard,

That sounds enterprising and a good solution. Was contacted by Dave Lewes and he confirms that the grill and surround are one unit. He had it powder coated, so it's getting that doone again or the method you describe.

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem as you described with the bottom grille finisher once i stripped off the paint it was really rusty.

I obtained a new one from Moss.

The actual grille itself wasnt too bad ,i resprayed in black to freshen it up, looks fine.

Job done.

Guy.

Edited by Jersey Royal
The chrome surrounds are, in my view, still available.

Rimmer bros. numbers 722933 (upper) and 722934 (lower). :)

Website: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer.bat?tr6/tr6indx look biy exterior trim.

Eric

Sorry, look at the website bij BODY FITTINGS. :o

Hmm thanks guys. Looks like getting a new replacement would be more cost effective - will look into the cots of strip and re-coating the existing grill.

Hmm thanks guys. Looks like getting a new replacement would be more cost effective - will look into the cots of strip and re-coating the existing grill.

Hi Steve,

If you go for a replacement. You will probably find that there is only the later type of grille available, it has the chrome strip top and bottom, they can be easily removed, though, by carefully drilling out the pop rivets.

Best Regards,

Dave Lewis

Hi Steve,

If you go for a replacement. You will probably find that there is only the later type of grille available, it has the chrome strip top and bottom, they can be easily removed, though, by carefully drilling out the pop rivets.

Best Regards,

Dave Lewis

Hi Dave,

Looks like that link from Eric to Rimmers shows they stock the correct circa '72 grille with black surround as well as the later chromed version.

I'll see about fixing the existing one first though. Was that the original with the car when you rescued it or did it need replacing?

Edited by Steve Whiteley