Body Alignment

Hi All

i have recently taken over ownership of a TR4A from my father.

the car was purchased during restoration c.20 years ago and as I am finding out the restoration was not to a good standard.

The car was kept on the road and driven for around 7-8 years after restoration then garaged and has been put back on road earlier this year.

I have noticed a lot before but only now seeking help/guidance on the alignment of the car.  

If looking down the line of the passenger side - along the top of wings and door, the car seems to be buckled whereby the door sits out wider than the wings.  See pictures.

I assume this is likely to be a bent chassis?and the body made to fit the shape of the damaged chassis.

anyone any ideas?

also - the passenger rear wheel seems to be further inboard than the drivers side and tilts further in at the top.  Not sure if these two issues are related?

I was looking at getting bodywork done as it is in need of a proper job but before doing so I would like to understand the extend of the problems with the body/chassis.

I have had the car on a ramp but there was no obvious signs of damage.  I am no expert so not really sure what I would need to look for.  I am intending to get it back on the ramps to take some measurements and look at anything else anyone can recommend.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

chris

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

Certainly a problem there.

You need to get the car on a hoist if you can to check all the body bolt down points for alignment and the symmetry of the chassis.

Let us know what you find and we can then advise further.

Looks like "B" post alignment is out, I have had to deal with a similar problem quite a few years ago except on thet one the top of one "B" post was out and the other was in so it needed a fairly drastic solution!

Stuart.

jeffs tr5 002.jpg

jeffs tr5 001.jpg

Stuart's assessment is valid....Measure the current width between the fender/wing SS beads, or any other reference point close to the B posts, and get back to us.

Edited by Malbaby

Only real way to tell whats out is by triangulation i.e. measure diagonally from the top of the L/Hand "A" post (at the bottom of the screen) to the top of the R/Hand side "B" post and then do it the other way round from the top of the R/Hand "A" post (at the bottom of the screen) to the top of the L/Hand "B" post this should show the discrepancy

This sort of thing happens often when floors/sills have been changed with the shell off the chassis. Also when the forward deck extensions have been changed too.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks all

I will take measurements and report back.  The car is at my fathers so will take measurements next time I am there which will likely be in the next few weeks.

At the same time I plan to bring the car to my house and have made provisional plans to take it to a garage to get car on ramps to inspect and measure chassis/underside.

The car was inspected a few months ago while on ramps and nothing unusual found.

thanks again

Chris