Washing you pride and joy?

hi all,

Silly question perhaps, but as I'm a newbie to a smart TR, I thought I'd get a straw poll of what you guys do to clean your pride and joys.

Having just got a mint condition 6, I'd like to keep it like that way as much as poss! I have nenetol with the tassled brush to keep it polished but would you use a power hose on such a motor? Wash first, chammy then polish? Also to clean the engine bay (which is shiny and spotless) and the underside (I don't have a ramp or pit unfortunately).

Ta for any tips.

HI.

surgical rubber gloves,cotton wool buds,a toothbrush for stubborn bits,wet wipes,slowly,bit by bit. :D:lol:

My tr6 is going in for paint soon,and I will then be refitting all its cleaned,painted and polished bits, back on over the winter,ready for the spring. I wont want to use it in the wet!! :o

but........

I do my rover v8p6 with a 1lt spray bottle with some diluted wash and wax. about 1/2 a bottle normally does the whole job!!

I start with the webasto roof,then treat the vynil to some armourall. then to the glass, I clean/polish a window at a time,then clean/polish a body panel at a time, and finally the chrome and rostyles get a good buffing B)

Taking your time pays as you end up with a gleaming motor with no streaks. I forgot to say,I do the interior first to get the dusty bit out of the way!! I dont take the engine out like some people do!! :blink: crazy!! I just give all accessable areas under the bonnet and arches a good clean down with wd40 on a cotton rag till clean. It normally takes me 1 day once a month to do a full job on it. it is my everyday car,so it can be hard work!! :huh:

Edited by PILKIE

I bought my TR in April and have washed it once...in April (actually, my Avatar photo was taken that day...)Although I planned for dry use, it got caught in the rain on numerous occasions and I have merely shammied it off each time.

For the bodywork I wouldn't personally bother with a pressure washer (you must be one of those lucky s*ds who hasn't got a hosepipe ban! :angry: ) as they can do more harm than good. With the HP ban, I've found a watering can (without rose) is the best way to rinse the car down, before washing it with a good car shampoo and risinng off with said watering can.

Having used Autoglym for several years I converted to Meguiar's about 4 years ago and haven't looked back (I've won my class with my Volvo 3 out of those 4 years). Most of the time I just shampoo (Gold Class) & shammy, but every 3 or 4 months I follow with clay block (to remove surface contaminants), scratch-X (to remove swirls - if needed) and (currently) Gold Class polish.

We've all been to shows where the approach is down a dusty track (and always get behind the autojumbler in his clapped-out Transit who puts his foot down and coats your P&J :rolleyes: ) - like you I use the tasselled brush. For finger marks or rain spots I always carry some Meguiar's Quick Detail (or a new one whose name escapes me) and a terry towel which works wonders.

I would avoid using a pressure washer underneath particularly if undersealed - but IMO a low-pressure hose should be OK to remove dirt along with a good helping of elbow grease! For the engine bay, I've found a regular (weekly?) wipe with a damp cloth on the painted bits followed by the detail spray keeps ther muck from building up.

Anyway, them's my thoughts - others may disagree. By the way, I'm not affiliated to Meguiar's in any way but if anyone from that company is reading this I won't refuse any free samples.... :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Alpha206

"hosepipe ban!" ? What's that??? I believe there is one here but to be honest I take little notice of it - I use water pretty sparingly as we're on a meter and most goes into our cesspool which costs to pump it away....so I reconcile very occasional use of a hose with that :)

Hmmm....some involved cleaning routines there guys....will experiment. I'm having my drive redone and gates put in etc, so when I went to put it in the new garage yesterday it got a bit muddy (especially after wheel spinning to get up the slope :o ) but am gonna wait till all stuff is done outside before cleaning.