Did some non scientific testing by laying on the floor with a torch and bouncing the rear suspension. I kept moving around the car until it was at its loudest- by the driver’s door. Bounce the suspension with the door open and the noise goes away.

the gaps are good, but the door needs a bit of a slam to shut properly. how do I adjust the door to improve closing and maybe get rid of the clonk?

3 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

There’s an anti rattle wedge above the latch on the B post. The wedge slides in and out. Make sure that it’s not stuck in and that it slides ok. 3in1 is your go to lube here. 

Though my nearside door didn't clonk, I always did have to close it a bit 'forcefully', I didn't know of the existence of the wedge, it's not really obvious unless you know it is there.  Anyway, just been in the garage with the torch and yes it was stuck solid, WD40 washed out a ton of crud, then lubed with 3in1 and now both doors close like a Bentley, easily with a satisfying thud.  

The depth of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me, thanks Andrew.