Digitising and distributing VHS and Betamax footage.

As promised here I phoned Jo in Didcot from whom I learn the VHS videos held by the TR Register have already been digitised but not yet made available to members. Betamax videos are also held by the Register but have yet to be digitised. The intention is, obviously, to complete the digitisation of all the videos, and to make all the digital video files available online to members, and work on this is ongoing. Jo tells me I need to expect further correspondence from her detailing exactly what digital files of old videos exist at the present time.

I learn the digital files are unlikely to contain those loathsome digital watermarks and other digital excrescences that seem to blight so many digital releases of old films, such spam as may be seen in, for example, the following video with its watermark, digital chronometer and line of text near the bottom of the screen, none of which are in the least bit agreeable, and must surely be avoided in any TR Register releases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrVwPgsjWs

Anyhow, I await further correspondence from Jo, and will report back here accordingly :)

Edited by oxf2
typo

not just VHS videos but also acetate films and other format recordings are held in the "archives" in Didcot
Ian