Cooling system result!

I just realised that it was three and a half years since I Iast changed my blue ethylene glycol anti freeze/coolant mix. It is recommended this be done biennially. I always use a 50/50 mix of glycol concentrate and  rainwater and if the system ever needs topping up I use the same mix so the glycol level is unchanged, meaning that the freezing point will remain the same. However, the corrosion inhibitor package becomes played out over time, hence the recommendation to change the coolant every two years. 

I use Granville Sub Zero blue ethylene glycol concentrate to BS6580, which is Nitrile, Amine and phosphate free and ideal for our old lumps, diluted 50/50 with rainwater. I fitted a piece of rubber tubing on the cylinder block drain tap to take the old coolant clear of the starter motor, opened the heater valve, removed the radiator cap and when I opened the drain tap on the block the old coolant began to run out immediately in a strong stream. The same thing happened when I opened the radiator drain tap and when all the old coolant had run out I flushed the system through with a hose in the radiator filler. The water ran out beautifully clear with no rusty particles in evidence.

In the past it had sometimes proved necessary to remove the drain tap on the block and poke around with some stiff wire to loosen rust and sediment before the old coolant could be encouraged to run out. I can only conclude that my block is now very clean inside, which probably accounts for the engine always tending to run cold, even with no radiator shroud fitted and a 91 degree C thermostat fitted year round.