Got up before the kids and torqued up the head to 105ft lbs.

The tap insert did indeed unscrew. I reassembled with wellseal, set the tappets and replenished the rad with distilled water.

She fired up easy and apart from smoke which I'm pretty certain is from spilt coolant seemed to be running fine. 

Today was a major spring cleaning day so I wasn't allowed to go for a test drive. Maybe tomorrow if madame allows me... 

At least the kids love being by the garage 

20230520-103720.jpg

That's a splendid looking motor on the right of your photo - is it an Alvis, and what type?

My Uncle owned a 1925 3-litre Bentley for 60 years from 1938; this car looks to be somewhat later than 1925.

Ian Cornish

7 minutes ago, ianc said:

That's a splendid looking motor on the right of your photo - is it an Alvis, and what type?

My Uncle owned a 1925 3-litre Bentley for 60 years from 1938; this car looks to be somewhat later than 1925.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian 

Yes, I'm very pleased with this one, an 1931 alvis 12/50 TJ tourer. Sold the stag and a motorbike to pay for it and no regrets so far! 

50mph cruising with room for the family. It's a very well engineered car, nice and tight and so far (fingers crossed) not at all temperamental. 

20230513-180322.jpg