Dynator trouble shooting

I hope I can ask this on here, I'm helping a friend with an MG TD, that he thinks has a Dynator instead of the old dynamo, looks just the same. The red warning light comes on at times, and does go off again, we havent put a voltmeter on it yet, so wanted to try and get some info before mucking this up.  It does have an old style black control box, I looked inside, it doesn't have the usual 2 coils, it just has a small printed circuit board, so didn't want to do anything just yet until I know what to check.

I think it should be the same sort of unit that could be fitted on TR's perhaps.

Any info would be greatly received.

John

Are there any markings on the 'dynator' unit John ?   Most of them seem to use a Denso alternator with internal regulator - it's unusual to have a separate one in the control box if that's what it is.  

Does the generator have an all-metal body and a take-off at the rear for the tacho drive, or does it have a  plastic body with alloy end-caps and no drive take-off? 

Its a black body with ali endcaps and a tacho drive on the end, I'll give it a closer look for any markings,  it just has 2 wires at the rear, a large and and a small, just like a dynamo.  Could it still be a dynamo with that sort of control box, I've seen others with a large fuse across 2 terminals inside.

John

It could be a Dynalite then: 

https://www.powerlite-units.com/dynalites/rac006t.html

It's also possible it is a still dynamo and the control unit has been changed for an electronics type. 

https://www.dynamoregulator.com/products.html

I've had another look at this today, inside the regulator is a USA address, for a solid state voltage regulator,  so it would seem that it is still a dynamo, the red light is now on all the time with the key on, even reving the engine and there appears to be no output from the large wire with a volt meter.

Do I now assume that it could be a brush problem? Do I follow the old Lucas tests for a dynamo?

Thank you Rob for your wisdom, sorry I wasnt correct in the first instance, the guy hasnt had the car that long, and was told that it did have a alternator fitted, but I think this box now confirms its not an alternator, I found this website and address matches the label in the control box.  https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et232.htm

Thanks again,   John

Yes standard tests for a Dynamo John but of course you can't follow the control box bit.  If you disconnect the dynamo and connect the small and large tags together, there should be a large voltage there when the dynamo is rotating. If not suspect brushes or a worn commutator. 

If there is a considerable voltage ( up to 20 v or more) the dynamo itself is OK and it might be that control unit has failed.