re-furbishing throttle bodies

one of the spindles is a bit tight on one of my throttle bodies. It is fairly free for the first 50% of its travel, then tends to bind up. My Bently manual does not go into spindle shaft removal. Is it just a matter of removing the screws holding the butterflies onto the shaft , removing the shaft nut and then pressing the shaft from the throttle body? Are the bodies bushed?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

one of the spindles is a bit tight on one of my throttle bodies. It is fairly free for the first 50% of its travel, then tends to bind up. My Bently manual does not go into spindle shaft removal. Is it just a matter of removing the screws holding the butterflies onto the shaft , removing the shaft nut and then pressing the shaft from the throttle body? Are the bodies bushed?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

mitch,

hi

being a new member of the register & this being my first time replying to any problem, but having a family (parents) who had 4 healds, myself having 2 vitesses and now the proud owner of a 6, who has 'small' problems with his 6 in this area.

forgot to add, worked in the motor trade now for 35 years(dont like modern cars)

to remove the spindles, you have to remove the bodies from the engine and as stated undo the butterflys and the retaing nut and spring.

no they donot have bushes originally, mine now does!

only after removing the body that is sticking? will you then be able to remove the spindle (good old british technology) and find out were the problem is.

you may find that the butterflys are sticking, not the spindle.

how long have you owned the beast?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Mitch

Basically yes but make sure you establish why it is sticking; is the shaft bent? The throttle bodies are not bushed as standard but they may have been if reconditioned units; have the bushes been correctly reamed in-line? Be very careful making the shaft fit, try re-seating the butterflies first don’t remove any material unless you have too; if you take too much out of the holes to ease the shaft, you could end up letting great gobs of air in & that will do nothing for the smooth running of your motor!

When you put everything back make sure you get the butterflies the correct way around, use a locking compound on the screws & seat them (hold them tightly shut) before tightening the securing screws.

Before embarking on major dismantling it must be worth a good squirt of carb cleaner, inside and out, to remove any gum or other **** (unless the carbs have been recently cleaned and/or overhauled).

It will only take a few minutes and could save a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Thanks for all the info gents. Yes, it is a PI set up. These are actually spare throttle bodies I purchased off of E Bay, they came from a 2500PI car. I have the proper single balance pipe bodies for my TR250 which I am installing the Lucas system onto.These will just be for spares, though I understand that the shape of them makes for a little less horsepower than the originals? Anyways, i have soaked them for a couple of days in the varsol ( parraffin?) tank at work, and they dont seem to get any looser so that is why I am at the point where I want to remove the shaft to see if it is indeed bent, or maybe just corrosion where it passes through the bodies.

I will let you know how it works out.

Mitch

ps: cr1350

this is a great site, LOTS of very knowledgable gents on here who are willing to share their experiences.

I'd beware of using lots of carb cleaner inside the thottle bodies...

I did just this. I got eveything lovely and clean, and then discovered that some of the 'muck' was actually helping the butterflies seal at idle. It was the the devil's own job to get a smooth idle back again afterwards.

I am not sure exactly what i did, but the throttle body in question is behaving itself once again. I took the butterlies off and pressed the shaft out. There was a bit of wear and some corrosion where the shaft passes through the bodies but it cleaned up with scotchbrite quite easily. I think the "stickiness" was a combination of corrosion and lots of oily dirt. There is really no play between shaft and body when it is assembled ( no worse than the other 2 ) And using the highly technical and scientific throtle body shaft air loss method ( put mouth over end of shaft and blow) I think that these will be just fine.

Now, all i need to do is the rest of the car......................... :(