Can fuel gauge needle be adjusted.

As part of a project to E10 proof my 4A fuel system I have just fitted an aluminium tank. I had been seeing small rust? particles in the pump filter bowl at regular intervals and suspected the original tank was going home and I was right, as can be seen from the attached. I carefully removed the original sender unit from the old tank and decided to test it before fitting it to the new one. I had no reason to suspect it since it had always functioned perfectly but strangely when I connected a test meter across the two terminals and moved the float arm between the two extremes of travel rather than a steadily changing resistance reading I observed an open circuit. Don't you just love our cars!! I purchased a replacement sender unit (part no 214465). I tested this similarly and it gave a steadily changing resistance reading from 23 to 199ohms. The range of movement looked just like on my original item so I fitted the new one with confidence. Having finished the job I just took the car for a test run and brimmed the tank ready for a run to the NEC on Saturday. I was surprised to see that with the petrol level with the top of the tank filler neck the gauge did not register full, only as shown in the picture. The old sender unit gave a reading some way past 'F' when the tank was brimmed. I can live with this if necessary since at least when the needle is on 'E' I know I have about 2 gallons left in the tank but I wondered if there is any provision for adjusting the gauge needle to read 'F' with a full tank. I hope someone will advise.

Tim  

DSC02150.JPG

Reading with full tank.JPG