1977 4 speed TR7 will not go into gear when the engine is running

Hello,

I hope someone can help me!

My 1977 4 speed TR7 is in good overall condition but has been stood for about 4 months (although i start it up every week).

When i tried to take it on a run yesterday it would not go into any gear with the clutch fully depressed.

It goes into gear fine with the engine off.

Before the period of not being used for 4 months all gears worked perfectly well with no noises, clunking or any signs of wear.

Now it won't go into any gear. There still feels like some resistance on the clutch pedal so i'm assuming the clutch cable is OK.

I wonder if the really hot weather recently has caused it (metal expanding)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

Chris

3 hours ago, Malcolm Tatton said:

Thanks Chris, glad it worked and didn't need more serious attention. I ended up towing my car in gear with the clutch depressed until it separated (with a bang) one year when the pressure plate stuck particularly badly!

This used to be a springtime activity for we who overwintered our cars in damp garages.   Best solution was to run the car every few weeks and check the clutch operation.   
The start in gear trick with clutch pedal down and hand brake on was also a favourite solution.   Try everything before heaving the gearbox out!