Hi

My TR3 had smell of petrol just after filling. Close inspection, rubber connector from tank to filler cap is deteriorating.

I also notice looking into the filler, the tank inlet and filler are not in line. This may be the cause of connecting pipe failure.

Questions: is it possible to re align the tank to match the filler?

Do I need to remove the filler to fit a new connector?

Thanks, regards

Steve

3 hours ago, Stephen Chester said:

Hi

My TR3 had smell of petrol just after filling. Close inspection, rubber connector from tank to filler cap is deteriorating.

I also notice looking into the filler, the tank inlet and filler are not in line. This may be the cause of connecting pipe failure.

Questions: is it possible to re align the tank to match the filler?

Do I need to remove the filler to fit a new connector?

Thanks, regards

Steve

The tank filler on both my cars isn't perfectly aligned to the tank opening but they are only out a few mm. I haven't touched the filler on my daily driver since 1983 so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Empty the tank. Undo the hose clamps for the filler hose and remove the cap and then the hose. It can be a nuisance as the hose has probably gone hard, but it will come out. You might need to do the next step to get the hose out.

Undo the four bolts holding the two tank retaining straps. Move the tank so the filler is aligned and repack under the tank to keep it there. Resecure the straps and fit a new filler hose and then the cap.

You shouldn't have to undo the fuel outlet pipe, there should be enough give in it. The bottom of the tank should only be moving a mm or two.

Be very careful. An empty fuel tank full of fumes open to the air is a highly explosive item. Don't be put off doing it but no metal tools etc near the tank opening. If you can put something over the opening that would help.