fake tracking number scam

Hi, I was caught by this scam, I went against my rule of; not buying from sellers with low transaction history and poor feedback.

Ebay seller gave me a tracking number (Royal Mail) and item was marked as delivered next day.

I contacted seller who said sorry, a mix up with tracking numbers and gave me a new one, this time Hermes. They, Hermes new company had no package and didn't recognised my post code for delivery.

I contacted seller and then noticed a new negative feedback saying; fake tracking number scam, eBay refunded. (same item I had purchased.

The seller then changed his listing and closed that account.

I did a "not received" on the account and eBay very quickly refunded me saying they could not get a viable tracking number from the seller.

The scammer is still selling on another account I believe.

My item was only £18.28, I have seen on eBay community that high value items are more difficult to get refunded. (different team apparently)

Beware! this site looked genuine.

Ken

Less tracking number scam, Ken, more fraudulent eBay seller!

There is a common tracking number scam - "We tried to deliver your package today, but you were out/the driver couldn't find the address/inadequate address details.    Here's the tracking number, please contact us to rearrange delivery."     Usually with authentic looking logos of well known shippers, but often with spelling mistakes!  And of course, if you do contact them they will delve for more details of bank accounts etc etc.    As you did, it's easy to check on  the shipper's website if the number quoted is genuine, and that's always worth doing.

What is more annoying is the habit of genuine shippers, with a genuine parcel to deliver, insisting on you being in to receive it, even if the value is trivial.

Well done too, for getting your money back from eBay! 

John