Oil pressure

Hi again,

Next question from a potential new boy! What kind of oil pressure should I expect on a TR4A?

Regards.

Hi Monty

About 25-35psi at tick over and 70psi at 2000+ revs. Maybe after a long run down the motorway it will be a little lower at tick over and won't reach 70 psi until 2500 revs.

Use at least 20/50 oil or I use Penrite 20/60 which is even better.

Cheers

Hi Monty

About 25-35psi at tick over and 70psi at 2000+ revs. Maybe after a long run down the motorway it will be a little lower at tick over and won't reach 70 psi until 2500 revs.

Use at least 20/50 oil or I use Penrite 20/60 which is even better.

Cheers

Thanks. Does anybody use semi-synthetic?

Thanks. Does anybody use semi-synthetic?

Hi Monty,

My engine (TR4) was totally rebuilt a couple of years ago and shows the kind of oil pressure quoted by Robin. For reasons I won't go into, semi-synthetic oil was put into it (not by me!) on a temporary basis earlier this year and it didn't like it! - the pressure was all over the place.

So would suggest you stick to the 'old fashioned' oils as mentioned by Robin. They are, in some places becoming a little harder to get hold of but I understand that Halfords have recently started stocking one - do any of out technical whizzes know anything about it?

Cheers

Geoff

Millers Classic is another pretty good engine oil. I believe their 20W/50 is about £17.50 for 5 litres so I'll bet Halfords is probably cheaper. Millers is available by mail order from Frosts, and I believe TR Enterprises and Cambridge Motorsport stock it. There will no doubt be others.

Trevor.

"Millers Classic is another pretty good engine oil. I believe their 20W/50 is about £17.50 for 5 litres so I'll bet Halfords is probably cheaper"

I've used the Halfords product since Spring this year and it appears to be good stuff.

Not 100% sure, but I seem to recall it was only £13.95 for 5 litres. I understand that each Halfords branch will order you some in if it is not part of their usual stock range

Regards

Peter