exhaustpipe fitting

After wrecking one of the silencers of the twin Falcon sportsexhaust system on my TR6 on a speedramp I've decided to go back to the original sound and fit a S/S transverse Phoenix silencerbox. When ordering I was told I could retain the present front-intemediate pipes of the Falcon system and only needed to fit new rear-intermediate pipes and the transverse box. When getting under the car last night to fit the new parts I found that the diameter of the present front-intermediate pipes is larger than the diameter of the new rear-intermediate pipes. This means that the rear pipes can only be fitted into the front-pipes, while I would think they would need to be fitted over the front-pipes, as is the case with the present system.

Is it allright to fit the rear pipes into the front pipes or do I need to order front-intermediate pipes of a smaller diameter?

Your advice is very wellcome!

Kind regards,

Tim

Edited by trt74

You should be able to get a short step-down adaptor from a local exhaust centre. If not, then I think Moss sell them. Fitting them the 'wrong' way may be OK as a temporary fix, preferably with the roof down in case of fumes leaking into the car. Alternatively you could cover it with a wrap-round stainless steel or aluminium exhaust repair kit from Halfords.

Guest harry dent

That does not make it right Alec.Phoenix will make you an adapter if you give them id and od of both pipes.Make sure you get them the right way round of course.

Regards Harry. :)

Even better, ask Phoenix if they think you actually need an adapter for safety reasons. I very much doubt it. 'Wrong way' connections might introduce a little turbulence/resistance (i.e. slightly less efficient), but if they're a gas-tight fit (per Alec's comments) then how could they be unsafe? What you didn't say in your original post was whether the fit is tight or not...

Of course I'd appreciate illumination on this if there's any science to say otherwise. I can't tell you how hard it is not to make some terrible puns about this, but I don't want to give offence or imply a lack of respect, and you can't see a smile & a wink on the 'net...

Cheers (restrainedly),

John

Thanks very much for your replies and advice, guys. After failing to get a proper fit I've decided to order a new pair of front -intermediate pipes, so the rear pipes can be fitted the right way after all.

As the S/S is garanteed for life (of the car) might just as well do it properly...

Kind regards,

Tim