Rollover bar

Guest Wyn

Can anyone advise me on the most suitable rollover bar to fit under a surrey backlight. (yes I've got one at last!). The bar I've got will not fit under the surrey so time for a replacement I'm afraid. I want to maximize the rear space and visibility but not at the compromise of safety. I'm looking at the Revington No RTR9053HBK in TRaction page 44 this month but I'm not sure how narrow this is. I have harnesses which at the moment are fixed to the floor, is the cross-brace also advisable? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wyn

The standard rollbar to fit a Surrey does restrict rear vision as the bar passes just at rearview mirror height. You get used to it.

I believe that Revington do a higher bar specifically for their glass fibre backlight but I suspect this would not fit the original alloy version - you'll have to ask them.

I use a 4 point harness with the over shoulder straps bolted through the vertical part of the rollbar. This is probably not ideal but works well enough. I would think that the extra mounting bar would make the rear shelf area almost inaccessable.

Jerry

Wyn,

Speak to Revingtons about their bars. I think they do them for the original cast alloy surrey backligt as well as for their fibreglass backlight (which is an excellent arrangement).

Turning to the harness attachment. having the shoulder straps attached to the floor or rear seat shelf is an absolute no no.

Having a proper horizontal bar running between the sides of the rollover bar, around the back of the cockpit is the answer. It will not really impede access into the back of the car and it may also mean that you can walk should you ever need to use the bar and harnesses.

I am not too sure how Jerry is attaching his shoulder straps but it sounds a little odd. How will they perform in an accident?

Consider this. There are guidelines produced for how to attach harnesses for use in motorsport. There are clear reasons for this!

To my mind, if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.

David

Thanks both. I've already decided that I have to have a harness bar for safety reasons as the 45 degree angle to the rear deck is not a good idea. I had previously spoken to Revington who tell me that they cannot guarantee that their purpose made bar will fit under the aluminium frame, they can only say that it will fit under their fibreglass alternative. Waiting for a call back from Racetorations with some dimensions of their bar that attaches to the floor at the bottom of the B post