Waterpump question

Guest ron

My car is fitted with the US size pulleys and fanbelt [1/2"], I have a complete set of pulleys and a waterpump for the narrower UK belt which is easier to get and easier to fit. I was thinking of changing them over this winter but seem to remember that someone posted in the past that the replacement pumps were less than wonderful. Is there anthing I can do or check on the replacement pump to improve it, it's the sealed type pump, are they dismantleable?

The other reason I fancy doing the change is, the waterpump housing has been botched in the past by fitting oversized waterpump mounting bolts and I've finally managed to get a good replacement on Ebay, but I don't want to take off a perfectly good pump and find I've replaced it with a dodgy one.

Ron

Ron,

If your pulley is not replaceable and there's no grease nipple then it's probably an aftermarket pump anyway. These seem to be good for 30-40k miles ( presumably less for racing duty ). Not terribly expensive and readily available. I've gone through a few of these - last one didn't leak much but was noisy ( to a sensitive ear ). Seems like a lot of trouble ( loosening the steering rack, removing the radiator, etc. ) to switch over...

I still have the original pump in case the right bearings come along someday :unsure:

Hi Tom

Think I'll take my own advice and 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', I'll keep the parts till the pump that's on the car packs in then do the job, the spare pump I have is NOS QH pump from way back when, hopefully it's better than their modern replacements?

Ron