Help identifying source of “clonking” under rear of car when going over bumps.

Hi Rob,I had a similar problem a few years ago, & it was the steel tube insert on one of the diff mountings had come 'unglued' from the rubber: it was an easy fix, after a long & frustrating search!

Cheers, 

Paul.

18 minutes ago, TR Paul said:

Hi Rob,I had a similar problem a few years ago, & it was the steel tube insert on one of the diff mountings had come 'unglued' from the rubber: it was an easy fix, after a long & frustrating search!

Cheers, 

Paul.

Thanks for your thoughts Paul.

After feedback from others on this I checked out the rear damper bolts that fix them to the chassis. On one side I could tighten them half a turn (only). You couldn’t really say they were loose really. But that fixed the problem completely. It’s like driving a completely different car. The other side was tight.

So far that’s all I’ve done, but if it comes back (too soon), I’ll know what it is and think about the longer bolts and nyloc nuts to permanently fix the problem.

This was a brilliant problem to have. Easily identified (with help from the forum) and a simple and free fix! If only all the problems were like this!

Rob