Well that's what I thought...

Went back to Partco today with the leads in my hand because he wasn't any help when I last went in (something about lengths...) anyway, they were about as useful as an arsehole on my elbow today! I plopped the leads on the counter and the assistant looked at me like I was an idiot- made some comment basically lambasting me because I wouldn't remember what the firing order was... After I let him know that I wasn't some cowboy and hadn't just yanked the things out, he said they didn't have any and didn't offer to get any for me. I couldn't be bothered with having a discussion about how they're just a standard lead so I left, and I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere in future!

Went to the 'factor across the road from the partco and they said that they didn't keep them in (I guess these places just do exhausts and barry boy kit these days!) but they'd happily order me some and I can get them tomorrow so I'm happy enough.

From personal experience, if customers try to get too clever, the help runs thin-try to give the fellow the information he needs to help you. A 20 year old kid has no clue about your classic-why should he? I know if someone comes into my place acting "smart" he will end up with the goods from the information he provides ONLY, however, if a customer is a nice, easy to communicate person-chances are, they'l get the right bits.

It's easy to look at people like they're idiots-if they are not communicating the correct information.Try to impart as much info as you have-it all helps!

But, to be fair, their are some s..heads behind those counters!

Rob.

Unfortunately, not a 20 year old kid, one of the managers- the young guys in there are very plesant and helpful. I had been in yesterday to ask for the leads, another guy said that they just did standard leads in several lengths so I should just find out what length I needed- fair enough. So anyway, I figured bringing them in would be easy enough. The guy who served me today was very abrupt after I waited patiently, and I didn't know what more I could have told him; when I responded to his (frankly unnecessary) comment about firing orders, I said something like *yes of course*, not 'smart' in my opinion.

I think the fact that the factor over the road had no problem with calling a couple of suppliers for exactly the right leads for me, even though he'd only asked for the make, model and year, must show that I am polite enough!

Sorry for seem riled but I genuinely don't feel that I deserved that kind of service.

Cheers, Simon

All good points. Had to laugh recently when I went into yet another factor asking for quite a simple bolt; the guy there told me I'd have to go to the main dealer for that sort of thing... and yes, that was AFTER I told him it was for a triumph TR4. On that occasion, I just bit my tongue...

Of course, I'll be going back to the chap who was so helpful this afternoon!

Edited by beardmidget

Beardmidget, try Magnecore, easily found on the web, very nice, long life leads, made to measure-not cheap, but built to last.

My 4 has the screw on type cap, I had to giove measurements, but he's an efficient kind of bloke (Dutch i think) and would most likely have recorded them.

For information we have bought sets for 5 Tr's ,3 MG's, 2 Daimlers and countless Land Rovers over the years, without a single problem-unusual!

Avoid Champion-pieces of cr.. , would be more usefull if they actually tasted of liqorice-they perform the same!

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
There's nothing special about a real TR engine - any old half-decent leads should do the job, no problem.

Cheers,

Alec

I bought Lucas yellow and black lead by the yard and it is supposed to be high quality. Noproblems over 6 years. Richard