Tr5 radiator/ sump guard

When I bought my car the previous owner had removed this guard and left it off . 
it’s a fairly substantial plate under the radiator  and I would imagine adds to the structural strength of the chassis, also adds strapping points when trailering the car. 
I’ve had the guard shot blasted and now painting . 
I just wondered if it is usual to remove this plate / guard ?  Assume it is the same on all the irs chassis cars ? 
thanks in advance 

Dave 

Mine was welded into place by the Comps Dept back in 1962.

Definitely adds strength to the chassis and, depending on its bracing, is ideal for lifting the whole of the front of the car on the trolley jack.

Also provides mounting for anti-roll bar brackets.

Ian Cornish

I have attached a view of the underside front of 5VC, taken in 1962/3.

This plate is very similar in shape to that on my car (4VC), but it looks as if this one might have been removable.

Incidentally, it illustrates clearly that the chassis of the TR4 is a TR3A chassis with extra sections added each side at the front (to widen the track), and the outriggers extended outwards to accommodate the wider body.  No change was made to the rear suspension mountings, even though the axle is wider - the spring mounting points on the axle remained the same distance apart as on a TR3A.

Throughout its production, the TR4 continued to use the modified TR3A chassis - a cheap solution!

For really rough rallies (Liège and RAC), a skid shield was fitted beneath engine, gearbox & overdrive.  This prevented the hot air from radiator and engine escaping - so, to prevent overheating, the wing vents were fitted for the 1962 Liège and all the Rallies thereafter.

Ian Cornish

5VC - underside of car - DS-1280.jpg

Edited by ianc

The Works had four TR4s in the Rally team, starting in 1962 under Graham Robson as Competition Secretary. The cars were registered consecutively 3VC to 6VC. 

I bought 4VC in October 1969 as my road car.  I have never used it in competition.

The other 3 were shipped to North America for the Shell 4000 Rally in 1964.  The 3 cars have been brought back from North America at various time and now all  four cars are in England.  We are hoping to gather all 4 together at Malvern in August - the first time since early 1964 that all 4 will have been together.

The Register has a video on its website of my talk on the subject of the Works' TR4 Rally cars - doesn't include the re-patriation in recent times of 5VC by Tony Sheach.

4VC munched its thrust washer on its way back from MOT (passed), so, having stripped out the cabin, I am awaiting availability of my son to help lift the gearbox out - although, as a GP, he has had his first Covid jab, we are not taking risks.  Then will have to wait for Government to allow me to drive the box to Pete Cox for surgery.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc