Hi all,

After so long trying to find a TR5, I finally got one! I must say it was really hard to find it (or to find one that suited me) and especially here in Portugal where only a handfull (literally) of them exist. The colour is royal blue, chassis number 1CP243LP, engine CP208E, it has overdrive (of course) and during this month a Surrey top will be fitted. It has a problem in the clutch I don't now if it is the master cylinder or the clutch disk (!?) I hope to check this soon. But despite this, it is a great looking car!

Can anyone give me more details about my car? I wanted to now more without asking for a heritage certificate :D

I look forward to hearing from you all!

And if you ever want to visit the car (and me) in Portugal (in the Algarve) please drop me a line.

Cheers

Carl.

Hi Carl, glad to hear you found the 5 you were looking for. Can’t help you with details of the car but re the clutch problem, it will pay you to have a read back through the forum archives (Main & TR6 also) before you start pulling things apart as there is a lot of info regarding the weaknesses of the clutch unit, what to do about it, what parts to buy & what not to buy!

Hi Carl,

Congratulations on finding your car. Roger Ferris, the TR5 registrar will no doubt read your request here and give you the details you require in his usual efficient manner in due course.

Wyn

Hi Carl

Glad you found one at last. They're hard enough to find over here!

Having been assembled in Belgium, your car was sold to a West German customer and I think that's where it's spent all (most) of its life. Is that where you bought it?

There is very little production information available about these CKD cars, either the documents were never returned from Malines to Coventry or they were not valued when they arrived. Either way, if anything still exists I've no idea where it is (and I have tried to find it). Certainly it is not at Gaydon. What I do have is the info that appears in the Belgium Customs records, so if you'd like to email me with your details and any more info on the car I will update the data-base and let you have all the info I can. My details are in Traction - rogereferris@aol.com

Also, let me have some more info on your clutch problem and I'll see what I can tell you.

regards

Roger

Hi Carl

Glad you found one at last. They're hard enough to find over here!

Having been assembled in Belgium, your car was sold to a West German customer and I think that's where it's spent all (most) of its life. Is that where you bought it?

There is very little production information available about these CKD cars, either the documents were never returned from Malines to Coventry or they were not valued when they arrived. Either way, if anything still exists I've no idea where it is (and I have tried to find it). Certainly it is not at Gaydon. What I do have is the info that appears in the Belgium Customs records, so if you'd like to email me with your details and any more info on the car I will update the data-base and let you have all the info I can. My details are in Traction - rogereferris@aol.com

Also, let me have some more info on your clutch problem and I'll see what I can tell you.

regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have sent you an e-mail regarding my car.

Thanks and regards

Carl.

Hi Carl, glad to hear you found the 5 you were looking for. Can’t help you with details of the car but re the clutch problem, it will pay you to have a read back through the forum archives (Main & TR6 also) before you start pulling things apart as there is a lot of info regarding the weaknesses of the clutch unit, what to do about it, what parts to buy & what not to buy!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your advice! I'm still trying to figure out what is the problem with the clutch (if it is the clutch!) to know what to do next :unsure:

Cheers

Carl.

Hi Carl,

Congratulations on finding your car. Roger Ferris, the TR5 registrar will no doubt read your request here and give you the details you require in his usual efficient manner in due course.

Wyn

Hi Wyn,

As you said Roger has already contacted me and tolm some details about my car.

Cheers

carl.

Carl, tell us what's wrong with the clutch. is it too heavy or sticking. TR5s ,as far as I know, had as the early TR6 a very heavy clutch. If the slave cylinder was changed to lighten the pressure, it might happen that you don't get full disengagement. With some more information we might help to cure the problem :)

Jean

• 3 weeks later...
Carl, tell us what's wrong with the clutch. is it too heavy or sticking. TR5s ,as far as I know, had as the early TR6 a very heavy clutch. If the slave cylinder was changed to lighten the pressure, it might happen that you don't get full disengagement. With some more information we might help to cure the problem :)

Jean

Sorry my late repy but I decided to write back when I knew what was the problem with the clutch.

After all the problem is not so complicated. I took the car to a mechanic and we've discovered that a new clucth kit will be required (bearing, cover and plate), because the older ones were completely worned out. For now the car is not needed because I'm wainting for the log book emission :( .

Many thanks to all!