Prop Shaft Removal with Exhaust still in place

Guest GeoffWalker

Guest GeoffWalker

Started removing the Prop at 8 last night and by 12 I was like a raging bull. The propshaft is now off but I have no Idea how to drop it down without removing my leak tight exhaust.

Is there any way of pulling forwards and out by removing the gearbox mounting or do I have to bite the bullet and free up and remove some exhaust sections?

Started removing the Prop at 8 last night and by 12 I was like a raging bull. The propshaft is now off but I have no Idea how to drop it down without removing my leak tight exhaust.

Is there any way of pulling forwards and out by removing the gearbox mounting or do I have to bite the bullet and free up and remove some exhaust sections?

Hi Geoff

I've been putting this job off for a number of months because you have to raise the car at the front on ramps, remove your nice tight leak proof exhaust system ( apart from the front down pipes) and remove the prop in a downward and forward motion.

Best of Luck

Cameron

This is curious indeed - I've never found it necessary to disturb the exhaust pipe(s) when removing/refitting the prop shaft. I have had the twin-pipe system with dual silencers, the single type original to the TR250 and now the large bore single-pipe type.

I have always removed these from the back. Have you tried dismounting the silencer without disconnecting it and lowering the pipes out of the way :huh:

• 10 months later...

To finalise this post, I needed to change a propshaft uj (front) yesterday, very quickly, read this post and was horrified, also phoned TRGB who explained a fantastically complex method (seats out, h frame out, gearbox tunnel out etc).

Bottom line, remove exhaust pipes, undo prop bolts, prop slides out forwards, longest bit of the job, re-aligning exhaust afterwards.

Car needs to be up in the air-wouldn't be possible on the floor!

Rob.