DIY continental touring kit

So we havent talked about this for a while but I know there was some interest in a DIY version of the original continental touring kit. I dont know that I need to carry a head gasket with me but I would like to have some spare parts for long trips and local club events. I already have a good solution for tools but I'm wondering what to put in a spares box before I think about the shape and size of the box.

Here's my list so far (target is a US carb TR6, PI kit may be different):

Fan belt

Heater valve

Set of hoses

Clips for hoses (not all of them, just a sample of the relevant sizes)

1 foot of rubber fuel hose

Spark plug

condenser

rotor

distributor cap

Fuses

crimp on spade and bullet terminals and some single/double connectors

Bulbs (headlight, rear lights, front lights, fornt and rear indicator, side indicator) or whatever subset works.

Panel lamp bulb

what else ?

Stan

Edited by foster461

If you had been on injection I'd add a spare injector, a spare drive gear for the MU (The red plastic bit that goes between the MU & pedestal) and ideally a fuel pump (mandatory if you are on Lucas and probably wise for Bosch too although these are easier to get hold of in Europe.)

Some wire and some superglue.

Tank tape & insulation tape.

A UJ

A spare drive gear for the MU (The red plastic bit that goes between the MU & pedestal).

Gasket paper & sealant.

Bottle of radweld.

The original continental touring kit included spare valves, water pump seal and assorted o rings & seals for the metering unit.

Edited by andymoltu
If you had been on injection I'd add a spare injector, a spare drive gear for the MU (The red plastic bit that goes between the MU & pedestal) and ideally a fuel pump (mandatory if you are on Lucas and probably wise for Bosch too although these are easier to get hold of in Europe.)

Some wire and some superglue.

Tank tape & insulation tape.

A UJ

A spare drive gear for the MU (The red plastic bit that goes between the MU & pedestal).

Gasket paper & sealant.

Bottle of radweld.

The original continental touring kit included spare valves, water pump seal and assorted o rings & seals for the metering unit.

Good suggestions. I especially liked the UJ idea. Small, has numerous applications. I may have to re-think my strategy of including only things that I could reasonably fit on the road to things that I or a properly equipped garage mechanic could install and that would bring the gasket set back into play..

Andy, it has been rumored that you actually have one of the originals. I wonder if the big label on the front of the box is in good condition and if you could post a photo of it ?. I'm kind of interested in what one of these looks like and what the full inventory of the original was.

Stan

Stan

I do a lot of touring, I don't really carry any spares, I expect the car to be reliable and I'm sure if I had a bootful of spares the bit that did break would be the one part I didn't have, I carry a mobile phone and I'm a member of the CM breakdown service, so hopefully that should cover most eventualities.. You can't fit as much wine in the boot if it's full of spares :lol:

Ron

• 8 months later...
So we havent talked about this for a while but I know there was some interest in a DIY version of the original continental touring kit. I dont know that I need to carry a head gasket with me but I would like to have some spare parts for long trips and local club events. I already have a good solution for tools but I'm wondering what to put in a spares box before I think about the shape and size of the box.

Here's my list so far (target is a US carb TR6, PI kit may be different):

Fan belt

Heater valve

Set of hoses

Clips for hoses (not all of them, just a sample of the relevant sizes)

1 foot of rubber fuel hose

Spark plug

condenser

rotor

distributor cap

Fuses

crimp on spade and bullet terminals and some single/double connectors

Bulbs (headlight, rear lights, front lights, fornt and rear indicator, side indicator) or whatever subset works.

Panel lamp bulb

what else ?

Stan

I'm still interested in this topic and I'm still looking for a picture of the label on the box of an original touring kit if anyone has one...

While searching the other day I came across this info. Not TR6 but from a 2000 saloon. Guest access has been locked out of this forum but the wayback machine will get you there.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041207044623/...h.org.uk/forum/

Dang. That link takes you to the top level. Enter the 2000/2500/2.5 PI forum and look for the touring kit entry of December 13 2004, "stanpart continental touring kits". Open that thread up and then scroll down a few posts for the inventory of the stuff in the box.

Stan

Edited by foster461
Stan

I do a lot of touring, I don't really carry any spares, I expect the car to be reliable and I'm sure if I had a bootful of spares the bit that did break would be the one part I didn't have, I carry a mobile phone and I'm a member of the CM breakdown service, so hopefully that should cover most eventualities.. You can't fit as much wine in the boot if it's full of spares :lol:

Ron

I AM OFF TO LEMANS IN MY 6 - FIRST TIME I'VE GONE ABROAD IN IT - CAN YOU TELL ME SOME MORE ABOUT CM BREAKDOWN, HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO USE IT?