Can anyone help , before I spend any more money ! there has always been a banging noise from the rear of my 5 so in my nievety I bought a recon diff then drive shafts from revingtons , polybushes but the banging was still there . now ive been told that it could be the wire wheels ? to be fair ive had two sets both second hand but allways bought new hubs and spiners . HELP!

ckbrookes

I think you will have to be a little more specific as there are many possibilities that produce banging sounds.

Does the bang come on acceleration, deceleration, on rough roads surface, on bumps etc....

As Tony mentioned, there is very little space for the pipes through the chassis cruciform, a big chance to produce bangs :(

Jean

I think you will have to be a little more specific as there are many possibilities that produce banging sounds.

Does the bang come on acceleration, deceleration, on rough roads surface, on bumps etc....

As Tony mentioned, there is very little space for the pipes through the chassis cruciform, a big chance to produce bangs :(

Jean

Hi jean , only happens on acceleration, deceleration, cheers

colin.

I was always told that it was not always a good idea to mix new hubs with old wires or vice versa, since the wear present on the old component meant you didn't always solve the problem of slackness. Also that you got a high wear rate on the new parts.

Andy is very right, the first thing I would look at, are the splines on the wire wheels, they have to be a very tight fit. Even with new adaptors they could have too much clearance. Second han w/w are only a good choice if you can trace their previous life <_< they are rather bristle objects that are subject to fast wear when badly treated

The next would be the diff pins to look at.

Jean

The other thing to add is that even if everything is new, not all wirewheels and adaptors are equal. I got a complete set for my 5 that appeared to have been made out of "Potty Putty" since they were knackered after about 800 miles...........Minilites rule OK

Hi all

Being a lover of Wires and not minilites I've been trying to resolve the same problem. New hubs on old wires reduced the rock on the wheel from 1/3" to 1/10" but they still click. I proved that all the banging was definitely the wires by putting the steels back on.

I have a mechanic who is even longer in the tooth than me. I haven't followed his advice yet but he recons that a few blobs of GREEN locktite (Not red) cures it by padding the splines but still leaves the wheel relatively free to pull off.

Has anyone tried it before? or am I going to be the first to risk it!

All the best

Laurie

Edited by Laurie