Ac petrol pump

I’ve just had a failure of a recently rebuilt pump. Actually more than just a failure a real pain. Think where the petrol goes when the new diaphragm fails. And it doesn’t stop.

As I had a box of old pumps in various states of disrepair I found an original AC diaphragm. Encouragingly labelled “genuine”. Fitted it and it doesn’t leak,  yet. My question is how many out there still have original pumps which have suffered modern petrol? Will my AC diaphragm survive unleaded? JJC

One of the things that convinced me to change to an electric pump was when a friend had left his car in his integral garage with the back end up on ramps while he was away on holiday. When he returned home the whole house reeked of petrol and he found an oily mess under the car. The diaragm in the pump had let go and the tank had drained into the sump and then leaked out through every possible orifice.

He was a bit miffed at first and then realised how lucky he was that the boiler had not fired up and burnt the house down

George

Edited by harlequin