Engine Block

Guest andythompson

There are basically 2 different Mk2 blocks

They changed about 1972, ME50000 for a 2000, MG75000 for a 2.5PI and for the TR6 I believe the CP/ CR changeover?. The early ones have a non recessed block top and no rib down the side (behind the exhaust) They also have Stanpart cast in the block beneath where the alternator sits.

Confusingly perhaps the Mk1 PI block is identical (including the crank) and is prefixed CR :blink:

These would be correct for a TR5.... if you faced the block you could "rename" your block as the original.. for personal use only... I'm not suggesting you pass it as the original

The later block has a stiffening rib down the RH side to try and reduce block flex and main bearing wear. These have an approx 0.030" recess machined around the top of the bore. They are in fact a better block but technically too young

Edited by andythompson