Kenlowe thermostat wiring query

This may seem a daft question but I'll ask anyway. I've got a Kenlowe wired in to the existing wiring loom and there's no doubt that its putting a strain on the circuit which has blown fuses and the like and just played up again today. Fortunately, I have a secondary loom wired in through relays giving a choice of ignition only or direct to battery feeds onto which I plan to put the Kenlowe.

There are 4 wires coming out of the original thermostat control but its kind of old and I can't easily tell which is which. Rather than trial and error and possibly damaging other circuits, does anyone have details of the wiring diagram to the thermo switch? Would you advise putting the fan under the control of the ignition circuit (as it currently is) or to the non-ignition side (so it would operate when first switched off)? If it turns out that the switch itself is on the way out, can these be bought separately from the fan kit itself?

Your help and advice as always, gratefully received.

Bob, Kenlowe seem to have many different control units going back over the years. Have you tried giving them a call? They are always helpful and are only a small company so you will be able to talk to someone who actually knows something rather than a call centre in Mumbai. The website is http://www.kenlowe.com/

I always wire the fan via a relay on an ignition controlled circuit having an irrational fear that one day the switch will fail leaving the fan running and a flat battery. When it's very hot I leave the engine running and/or the ignition on for a minute or two after coming to a stop to cool everything down, but that's not such bad practice anyway.

Jerry

Good thinking indeed and yes, they were very helpful. They're sending up a couple of wiring diagrams and for those of you (like me) who have a separate illuminated fan overide switch on the dash, there maybe an issue which causes shorting and blown fuses.

Hi Jerry, fans and electric motors take a heavy current draw to get going - as with fuel pump, I'd recommend fitting a relay, use the switch/thermo to switch the relay, with direct supply to relay etc..

• 1 month later...
Hi Jerry, fans and electric motors take a heavy current draw to get going - as with fuel pump, I'd recommend fitting a relay, use the switch/thermo to switch the relay, with direct supply to relay etc..

Hi Jonlar,

I have just fitted a Kenlowe and at the moment it is wired directly through a spare slot on the fuse box :unsure: I completely agree that this would be safer through a relay, (but just wanted to get it fitted and working while I had the time off to do the messy bit)! I have found a relay that was left over from a Halogen conversion on my old Spitfire, (ahem...seemed a bit of a waste of time bothering to fit them back then). It's a Lucas SRB501 - 12v 20/30A. Would this be appropriate to fit to switch the fan? Any ideas what connects to what?

Thanks as ever!

Michael.