Has anyone fitted rear disc brakes?

Apologies for delay in concluding this topic but bathroom refub started and it is now a much bigger job - walls down, etc!

I really appreciate all the above advice and suggestions especially yours, Dave.

Much pondering and it seemed which ever way the Wilwood route was pretty expensive. I even thought about making my own mounting plate as all in all it is a simple design and then one only had to consider the offset to align with the disc. When you added the front Wilwood calipers it was again pretty expensive.

So, in the end I decided to go the Jon Wole / Wolfitt.com route and have bought his kit. I have also purchased a front disc and caliper upgrade so now have drilled and groved discs up front too. The total cost was less than £750 and offsetting this is probably £150+ not needed in totally refurbishing front and rear brakes as what I have one would not touch / leave.

OK, I do not have the bling of Wilwood but I may paint the calipers to help in appearence. I plan to use Minilites so they will not look too bad in a nice red or similar.

What I do now have is a modern front and rear disc brake system all for a reasonable cost and to my mind, why would you not do this on a full restoration (non-concours) project or indeed any upgrade.

Today I've stripped the rear brake and hub assemblies, and training arms off. I cannot help but think that Triumph should have gone that bit further and put discs on the rear. I have to say I'm impressed at how simple the rear is and lends itself to rear discs so easily. (I'm surprised there are so few kits.) As ever, I guess it was Triumph cost concerns although I doubt there was much in it. Times were different then, of course.

Edited by Richard Pope
Typo
On 5/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, Richard Pope said:

Today I've stripped the rear brake and hub assemblies, and training arms off. I cannot help but think that Triumph should have gone that bit further and put discs on the rear. I have to say I'm impressed at how simple the rear is and lends itself to rear discs so easily. (I'm surprised there are so few kits.) As ever, I guess it was Triumph cost concerns although I doubt there was much in it. Times were different then, of course.

Dont forget back then hardly any cars had rear discs (FWIW Triumph were the first to offer discs on the front for a road car) and also the drum brakes fit lots of others too so cheaper in cost scale.

Stuart.