TR8 Power Steering Racks

Hi all,

I am selling via e-bay what is supposed to be a genuine power steering rack on a TR7 V8 that I had converted at Mark Grinnalls place in 1984. When I had the car converted I specified that it had to be a proper TR8 power rack, which they provided, instead of a converted SD1 etc version. The whole set-up cost me £550.

Question is, as it is now almost impossible to locate an actual part number for the rack, how can I double check that I did actually have a genuine TR8 one fitted. No-one seems to know what it should look like or what the actual part number is etc.

5 years ago I had a genuine RHD TR8, but this had a SD1 converted rack fitted, and had had it since new !! And this was a real RHD, not a converted LHD car.

Anyone help, as the last thing I want to do is sell this TR8 rack and all its fittings and get some grief from a buyer who says it's not a real one, when I paid for a real one way back in 1984.

Cheers,

Karl,

<_< sinc1964

If you had a genuine RHD TR8 then it should have had a proper TR8 rack, if it had an SD1 rack it was fitted after the car left the factory. The SD1 rack requires alterations to fit the 7/8 so why bother when they had genuine racks on the shelf.

Some Grinnalls had genuine racks and some did not, look in Roger Williams book at the LHD TR8 rack and the RHD version is a mirror image I know the rack is genuine as I supplied the photo, The RHD rack in the book is the Rimmers PAS conversion rack.

Send me a picture by e mail and Il tell you which rack it is,

Edited by chris turner
If you had a genuine RHD TR8 then it should have had a proper TR8 rack, if it had an SD1 rack it was fitted after the car left the factory. The SD1 rack requires alterations to fit the 7/8 so why bother when they had genuine racks on the shelf.

Some Grinnalls had genuine racks and some did not, look in Roger Williams book at the LHD TR8 rack and the RHD version is a mirror image I know the rack is genuine as I supplied the photo, The RHD rack in the book is the Rimmers PAS conversion rack.

Send me a picture by e mail and Il tell you which rack it is,

<_<

Hi Chris,

Underneath a load of muck is what looks like a BL item code YBW3947.

Does this shed any more light on the subject as to what the rack actually is.

Regards, Karl.

Sorry Karl but its not a TR8 rack, from the part number(casting no) it is probably a modified SD1 rack in which case the subframe will have extra holes drilled as the mounts dont line up with the TR7 ones.

Sorry Karl but its not a TR8 rack, from the part number(casting no) it is probably a modified SD1 rack in which case the subframe will have extra holes drilled as the mounts dont line up with the TR7 ones.

Thanks for the info Chris,

All the best,

Karl.