just MOT'd but we have issues

Glad to say the old girl has just passed it's MOT again this year. 3rd consecutive year without any problem.....except that they advise there is play in the steering rack mounts and n/s/r wheel bearing.

Is it simply a case of replacing the rubber mounts on the rack, or am I right in thinking it's not that simple?

Also rear wheel bearings.....can they be adjusted or is it a case of replacement?

Your expert wealth of knowledge is appreciated.

thanks

lee

Congrats on the MOT, Lee ( don't have the equivalent in the U.S. :) ). As for the steering rack play, there's a bit of a trick to tightening them; search the topic to get the procedure. Renewing won't do it, and anyway I've found my original TR250 rubbers quite up to the job if properly tightened. ;)

Lee

The rack mount rubbers have to be compressed when the mounts are tightened up, this is supposed to be done with a special tool but you can use mole grips or welding clamps; a better & more permanent fix is to go Polybush or use solid alloy mounts (but these make the steering a bit jarring!).

Re the rear hub bearings; check the large adjusting nut, sometimes it comes loose & you can get away with just nipping it up again & taking another couple of bends on the tab locking washer to hold it in place. If the hub isn’t noisy (indicating a bearing problem) you can adjust the play out but you have to be careful & aware of what you are doing.

The opposing, taper roller bearings are assembled onto a central, collapsible spacer; take it too far & you can’t go back again; the hub then has to be striped out to replace the spacer & that’s when the problems start. It’s not really a DIY job as they are almost impossible to separate without a 60 tonne press; but you may be lucky!

Edited by Richard CRawley

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

I'll probably leave the rack mouts for the moment as it seems too technical and it doesn't seem to steer by itself yet.

I'll have ago at nipping the hub bearing. If that doesn't do the trick I'll change the whole bearing. We have presses at work so it shouldn't be an issue.

once again thanks for yoyr help.

lee

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

I'll have ago at nipping the hub bearing. If that doesn't do the trick I'll change the whole bearing. We have presses at work so it shouldn't be an issue.

Lee

If you’re going to have a go at separating the hub yourself, take it slowly & make sure you support the flange as close to the hub as you can when pressing. Some of these hubs require such force to separate that there is quit a high risk of the flange bending before the hub separates. You will then of course be stuffed as far as presenting it for exchange goes!

I had a go at it many years ago, gave up & took both hubs to a shop with a much larger press & guess what, they bent the flanges & they still didn’t budge! One of the major TR suppliers once told me that quiet a high % of hubs get destroyed in the process of trying to separate them - can’t remember exactly but it was well into double figures. If you do manage to separate it, you must replace the collapsible spacer as well as the bearings so be careful when you pre-load them on assembly; as I said, take it too far & you’ll be back to square one!