Restart Help Please

Hi Guys

I have spent what seems an age removing my head replacing the gasket and rebuilding the whole lot.

I have replaced and regapped the plugs and points and checked the timing.... All OK

I have replaced the coil

BUT the car still fails to start.

Sputters a few times but never catches

What have I overlooked ?

Any advice greatly recieved as I am beginning to doubt that I will ever get this finished.

Edited by dulux72

Assuming you have decent compression and that fuel is being delivered (have a sniff of a plug when you try and start it), it would be worth checking that the points are opening on No 1 plug during compression stroke and not exhaust! Contrary to popular belief it is relatively easy to get the firing order 180 degrees out. Also make sure that the coil has been wired the right way around. Again it's easy to mix up during the excitement of finishing the rebuild. Sorry to simplify things but often its the easy bits that are overlooked and obviously I have no idea of your level of experience etc.

Is it possible that you live near to another member who could have a look, I am in Kent if it helps.

Regards

Gary

OK thanks for the reply

I have discovered that there is no spark being generated.

I have replaced the coil and the condenser and the points.

No change

Compression and timing all ok

There is voltage at the low tension end

So what have I missed ?? :unsure:

Any help greatly received

OK thanks for the reply

I have discovered that there is no spark being generated.

I have replaced the coil and the condenser and the points.

No change

Compression and timing all ok

There is voltage at the low tension end

So what have I missed ?? :unsure:

Any help greatly received

Are you sure the points are connected to the 12v supply with insulating spacers stopping direct short to earth (should go to condenser which is earthed)? Try a 12v bulb across from the points to earth, should light when points open and extinguish as they close. There's also a very thin fine braided wire which is worth checking for breaks and continuity. Come back if you need any more, but let us know what you find.

Any updates/progress?

Edited by jonlar