Has anyone out there got a pair of old front springs. ST made so that I can carry on experimenting with my ride height. 

I have spent the whole afternoon in the garage looking for the ones that I removed about three years ago.

I can collect locally in Sussex or arrange collection. Please let me know how much you would like ?

Thanks Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry no I do not have a used pair of OE springs. Pt No 201989 - will keep asking around though.

I'm intrigued Richard, what are you trialing?

To add ride height at the front consider the Moss TT4006 front springs.  They fit with the standard alloy spacers and lift the front of my car more or less 3/8" , measured under the chassis at the front. (the trolley jack now goes in & the ARB does not hit speed bumps) Measurement of chassis rail lower face to floor is about 150mm. (6" under the chassis leg) 

See pic - crickey that ARB link needs a clean! 

The SAH/TT quoted fitted length is 7.1" as against the original factory standard or factory uprated  fitted length of 6.75"

History - The TT4006 is a copy of the SAH606, which WAS, according to the old SAH drawings that TT had, a copy of the factory original uprated front coil spring pt no 201899 as detailed in the TR2-3 workshop manual....however....they have grown in length over the years and thus lift the car slightly over standard, plus they are a higher poundage rate.  This change may have been for rationalisation to get an uprated front spring that suited TR2-6. It was also said the change was due to the available steel material and wire diameters.  Sidescreen car owners can of course tune the height of their front suspension by altering the thickness of the spacer block fitted above the spring.

TT4006 are 390 lb rate.  (Triumph Tune road uprated front springs)  7.1" fitted

210899 are 380lb rate (factory uprated sidescreen front springs) 6.75" fitted

210898 are 310lb rate (factory standard sidescreen front springs)   6.75" fitted

210903 are 312 lb rate (TR4 factory standard without spacer)  6.85" fitted (allegedly)

The pt no 210903, standard TR4 front spring that is used without the spacer is a lower ride height than the TT4006 & gives a softer ride.  Both factory original standard or uprated front coils for a TR2-3 give the same ride when fitted with original spacers.  This is marginally lower (1/8")  than 210903, which must be used without spacers. 

This info is relevant to TR2-TR4. Not TR4A & onwards.

There is a wealth of knowledge and other springs out there for sale that are specifically designed to work with alternative rating rear springs - have fun and be prepared to open your wallet.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks very much for some detailed technical advice.  Are these part numbers Triumph original or Moss numbers. ?

What is the difference in the lbs rating. 310, 390, 450.?  Does this affect the comfort and the handling. At my age I am looking for comfort.

My car was fitted with Revington front springs RTR 3101F rated at 450lbs and 10 1/2 free length. There are no spacers. There is a large space over the front tyre. The back tyre is inside the wheel arch with no clearance viewed from outside.  This looks different to some old pictures of my car. 

I have measured the clearance from the underside of the chassis to the ground. It is 6 1/4". After reading your post I realise if I close the gap above the front wheel somehow, the ground clearance will get smaller and speed bumps etc will be in the way sometimes.

So maybe it is time to lift the back end to match. Maybe I should stop worrying about it. If I could find my old springs then I could run a test fit on one side.

Thanks for the help.