Wanted fuel gauge for TR5/6 (Black bezel type)

My one is playing up and I want to check it is indeed faulty before I send it off for repair. Everything else has been changed. On complete refills of petrol it only shows half full and the needle drops off alarmingly indicating very bad MPG.

So a cheap working one if you have a spare.

Regards Harry.

PM me your details please.

Hello Harry

Fuel and temp gauges are supplied from voltage stabiliser. If Temp gauge ok then suspect either fuel gauge or sender unit on tank.

At the fuel tank disconnect the wire that goes to the gauge (usually green/black) . Switch on ignition and touch this wire to a good earth. Needle on gauge should rise slowly to full position. If it does then gauge is ok and problem is at sender unit end.

Reconnect the green/black wire to sender. Then check you have a good earth from the circular plate that the sender is attached to. I solved an issue recently on a friends car whose fuel gauge was reading low. The earth wire from the sender unit attaches to one of the screws holding sender unit to the top of the fuel tank. The one with the earth wire should have a metal washer beneath the earth wire contact (All the other screws have fibre washers). My friends car still had a fibre washer only and the screw was a bit loose - result was poor earth. Once this was fixed fuel gauge worked fine.

If this doesn't solve it then suspect the sender itself.

Hope this helps

Keith

Thanks Keith and Darren.

Have changed everything and not the gauge. I had an issue with a TR4a and its temperature gauge (rebuilt) and after fruitless trying of different cures, it did indeed was an earth issue.The TR was fully painted inside and out and the clip that you screw the voltage stabiliser to was not earthing to the body because of the paintwork.Ran a flying earth lead and screwed to the panel solved it.

plenty of earths around this time so I suspect the gauge.

I would like to take you up on that Darren.

I will pm you my address.

Regards Harry.