Thermostat Issue ?

Just to update this thread.

I had the tests done and it was indeed the head gasket. Once the engine was stripped down they found the liners were sitting too low too and that the previous works to the engine were poor, especially the head gasket fitting. 

The garage that previously worked on the engine had managed to trap something between the head and gasket giving it a weak point. The engine was worked on last only 7 years ago (7k Miles) so clearly it was a very poor job.

The garage that has it now are also replacing the big ends & cam shaft too plus some other minor parts. They come highly recommend and have a wealth of Triumph knowledge. They’re also very happy for me to call in to see works and explain everything they’re doing.

I hope to have it back next week .... hopefully, running a lot better too !

We still did our road trip to France and Jersey but in the Mk3 Spitfire ... that had its moments including having to strip down and repair the alternator brushes on the side of the road ... all good fun though and part of the experience & challenge.

Thanks for advice and posts ~ I may have been tempted to take the TR had I not  read them and that would have been a big mistake!

Andy

Andy

glad you got to the bottom ( or top in this case) of the problem and have some good people to deal with it for you. 

You managed your european trip in a Triumph classic too. 

Take care

H