Triumph Crank Damper Pulley Survey

Sunny today so spent a (mostly) happy couple of hours dismantling the tr6 to get to the damper.

All went well, i removed the rad as i also want to get to the arb brackets, then unbolted the round crossmember, and the rack ( which has a 1990s solid alloy mount kit that has pretty much wleded itself to the steel U bolts...) to gain enough clearance.

Two seconds with the Makita impact wrench and the bolt was loose, some juggling with the legs of a very cheap 3-legged puller and off the damper comes!

One of the dowels is well stuck in the old damper, i might try to ‘persuade’ it out but will probably make a trip up to moss for a new one/pair.

I’m unsure whether i want to take off the timing cover.

I’m intrigued as to whether the motor has a vernier cam sprocket, but as its not leaking i might leave well alone!

So John, you’ll soon be in receipt of a ‘decidedly second hand’ damper , can you pm me your address please.

Steve

Fitted the new damper in the week, slipped on like a glove!

Today i checked TDC with home made piston stop, the mark aligned perfectly !

Very happy with the result, thanks to Tom for the balanced and marked pully.

I’ll post off the old one to John, hopefully tomorrow, and look forward to hearing about it’s new testing adventures after 44 years on the car!

Steve