I'm in the process of bolting the body tub of my 61 3a to the chassis. The process that I'm following is to secure the rear fixings ensuring that measurements to fixed points on the body/chassis are consistent between left and right hand sides and tighten securely. I then worked my way up the body aligning bolts with captive nuts but only fixing loosely. All is going well but I'm unsure how to install the 2 fixings that sit either side of the engine on the angled chassis frame. The manual (see attached) seems to show a sequence of firstly placing a thick rubber pad followed by a notched aluminium spacer which I assume both sit under the inner wing section and then on top of this (the inner wing) is positioned a thin rubber washer followed by the mounting plate, locking washer and finally the bolt itself. The left hand side has gone in ok as per the above but on the right hand side (as you sit in the car) there's just not enough room to fit the thick rubber pad as well as the notched spacer between the angled chassis rail and the inner wing. When doing the square (4 holed rubber spacers) positioned under the floor pans I took the view that I positioned as many as were required to position a spacer without having to lift the tub unduly i.e. leaving a tight squeeze to fit the spacer in place, As a result the number of spacers requires does vary, at most I think I placed 4 but on one point I only had 2. My question is should I use the same rationale on the front fixing's and only use enough spacers that are required to ensure a tight gap before tightening up?

Sorry this is a bit wordy but hopefully you can understand what I am getting at?

Many thanks

Graeme

post-9805-0-05613700-1506452162_thumb.jpg