TR7 Daily Driver?

Hi All

I was wondering how practical a TR7 would be as a daily driver? I probably do about 100 miles a week or a bit more, plus a journey down the A1/M1 from Durham to Rotherham (about 200 miles round trip) about every two weeks.

I've wanted a TR7 for ages and can finally (almost) afford it, but whatever car I got would have to be my only car as I can't yet afford to run two. Would I be OK with a TR7, or should I wait until I can afford to have a 'modern' car as well as the Triumph?

Apologies for the multitude of questions - would there be any difference between getting a DHC as opposed to a FHC when it comes to practicality as a daily driver? I can put up with leaks/a bit more noise for the sake of having a soft-top for the summer!!

Thanks for the help,

Ally

Until last October I used a TR7 FHC as an everyday car for 10 years. The only reason I have bought a normal car is that someone tried to steal my TR and I didnt have time to put it back on the road. I will be back to using a TR from the beginning of March.

Guest wedge fan

I think the TR7 is a very practical car, I have 1 TR7 which is roadworthy at the moment plus my Mini but no modern car any more. I tend to alternate them so they both get used almost daily but the TR7 has a much better heater for this weather and is very comfortable on a long journey. I also discovered recently you can get a weeks food shopping plus a passenger and a dog into a TR7! During the brief moment of sunshine recently I managed to get some roof off motoring in and there's nothing better than that Triumph engine note roaring down an empty road with the sun shining - fantastic stuff!

David.

Guest Wayne S

B) Hi Ally,

Good luck with finding a TR7 to use everyday. I am in the same position as yourself, can only afford the one car and always wanted a TR7. I use my 7 everyday for trapesing all over the country, even manged to get it in the Action this month!

There are a few things to consider. You must find a car that is solid and reliable from the off. This is easier said than done believe me, I saw so many TR7's in all sorts of price brackets. Quite often complete rubbish was being offered up for sale at big money with many dishonest sellers claiming things like holes in exhausts are to blame for engines running on 2.

There are a few buyers guides around, the best are found on waringstowntr7s.co.uk and triumphtr7.com. Also get in touch with the TR7 Registrar, Malcolm Paris, helpful bloke full of tips and advice.

Things too watch are timing chains, water pumps (is there a trickle of coolant under the front carb?) when was it last changed? Warped heads and overheating problems, noisy diffs and the good old tin worm Check turrets, sills and the seams in the floorpans under the carpets, especially where the floorpan meets the inner sill and rear bulkhead. There are plenty more things too watch for, so check those buyers guides.

When you do find that mean machine, in order to use it everyday there are few things to consider:

Uprate the brakes, the standard 7 brakes can struggle in modern conditions (they are shared with the Austin Princess) and are spongy at best. I have spotted and grooved sports disks with greenstuff pads and braided hoses, which all help.

Secondly, throw away the points and fit electronic (or optronic) ignition. Points are far too unreliable for everday use and need constant attention I found. The optronic kits are easy to fit and can be bought from rimmers or s+s preparations for about £70-80, well worth it.

Thirdly, before you use the car, make sure you absolutley pump it FULL of waxoyl, in the sills/doors/boot etc. Especially at this time of year, the salty roads and wet weather can really take its toll on the old TR7 and it will suffer unless you protect it properly and keep on top off any rust bubbles or bare metal chips etc that appear.Other little things can be helpful in reducing the battering of everday use like mudguards etc

If your seven has the standard original lucas headlamps (few do nowdays) change them for new wipac or hella halogens, again easily obtainable from people like rimmers and make sure you can actually see more than a foot in front in the dark, the originals are rubbish.

Hope that helps, my TR7 2.0 Litre Grinnal DHC copes admirably as an everday car and is great fun to drive to work in, brightens up a dreary day! So go for it Ally, only other thing to mention is be prepared to do most of the work on it yourself (or win the lotto) and i'll warn you about the immensely heavy steering which often wobbles around 50 mph but dont change that coz that would be for wimps wouldn't it!!!!

Hi

Thanks all for your useful comments and advice, I feel a bit happer now about 'risking' a TR7 as my everyday car. I'm not worried about having to do a bit of work on it - that's half the fun of owning a classic isn't it?

Now, to find me a good one....bring it on!! :D

Ally

Just one little point, the steering should not wobble at 50mph or at any other speed for that matter, although it seems to be a common fault, sort it out, its not too difficult. The steering can also be improved by fitting bearings in the strut tops, not as light as PAS but better than the original.

Guest Chris Draper

Hey Chris,

You say that it's not too difficult to sort out the wheel wobble!!

Can't say that that's my experience & no-one else that I've spoken to could provide a solution. Can you expand a little on your method of sorting it??

Wheel wobble is normally in order, bent out of balance wheels, out of true hubs (more common that you'd think!) excessive play in the bushes in the front such as the ARB or TCA's. Finally check the top mounting rubbers for the struts although they have to be well knackered to give problems.

Jim

Guest Wayne S

Hi,

I was interested by your comment on wheel wobble. I have tracked and balanced my wheels, the rubbers in the struts are fine (I checked them when fitting new shocks) and I have redone all of the front end bushes with uprated ones. However my wheels still wobble and there isnt enough in the hub to cause any wobble that I can see. Any more suggestions, I was always lead to belive that this was a feature of the car.

Wayne