If you're getting vibration only under braking, it's almost certainly discs out of true - don't be temmpted to get them skimmed, there's not enough meat! Have you considered upgrading to Capri vented discs? Less chance of warping. Check there's not any rust or cack between the disc and hub, so discs are sitting true.

Edited by jonlar
If you're getting vibration only under braking, it's almost certainly discs out of true - don't be temmpted to get them skimmed, there's not enough meat! Have you considered upgrading to Capri vented discs? Less chance of warping. Check there's not any rust or cack between the disc and hub, so discs are sitting true.

Thanks for the reply.

What parts need to be changed and what year of Capri?

Cheers

Big rumbly

It is the 2.8i. You need to use the Ford calipers and also a hub adaptor (S&S offer it as a complete kit). Hardly an 'upgrade' from the 4-Pot Ambassador/Princess brakes to 2-Pot Ford Capri ones though?

It is a good budget brake kit, but you might be better off trying to find replacement disks/bells for the Ambassador set-up. Personally I WOULD try getting them skimmed first if they have enough meat on them. Otherwise Rimmers do a 4-pot kit (Rover 820 based?) which I've got on one of my V8s and that works as well as the Princess based vented disks on the othher one.

Otherwise if you want to spend some more money Hi-Spec (and Wilwood?) do a conversion to modern light weight billet calipers and fancy vented/grooved/drilled/etc disks. I've seen these on some competition and road TR7s and they are the business!

Malcolm.

Edited by malcolm
A. It is the 2.8i. You need to use the Ford calipers and also a hub adaptor (S&S offer it as a complete kit). Hardly an 'upgrade' from the 4-Pot Ambassador/Princess brakes to 2-Pot Ford Capri ones though?

It is a good budget brake kit, but you might be better off trying to find replacement disks/bells for the Ambassador set-up. Personally I WOULD try getting them skimmed first if they have enough meat on them.

B. Otherwise Rimmers do a 4-pot kit (Rover 820 based?) which I've got on one of my V8s and that works as well as the Princess based vented disks on the othher one.Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm, as you know 7/8s are not my forte, but I'd sooner have vented discs and 2 pots, than 4 with unvented! The braking efficiency would depend on the pot diameters, which for the Princess and Capri I can't remember. Can you remind me?

I agree with you Jon. Most of the Princess/Ambassador brakes fitted to V8s have been adapted (spacers in the calipers) for vented disks anyway. The Capri brake conversion IS a very good one, which I had on my last V8 DHC. I was just suggesting other options....

Malcolm.

Rimmers used to do 3 4 pot kits, the first is Prinny calipers with solid discs (no idea where the discs come from.

The next step is Prinny calipers & spacers & vented discs.

With the top kit being SD1 Vitesse calipers with vented discs, believed to be Jaguar or maybe the SD1 discs.

Mine runs solids on 4 pots and is OK. This last one is the only kit they do know, possibly because of a lack of Prinny calipers, although they are now being remanufactured.

The Capri discs & 2.8i calipers is OK & fine for the hariest 4 pot car but won't cope with a hard driven V8 & the Capri discs warp as well they do on Capris!

ANd four pots will always be better than 2 pots irrespective of discs simply because of A. Larger dia. pistons & more even pressure over the whole of the pad.

Jim

the Capri discs warp as well they do on Capris!

ANd four pots will always be better than 2 pots irrespective of discs simply because of A. Larger dia. pistons & more even pressure over the whole of the pad.

Hi Jim, I've never had ventilated discs warp, but have with solids. I used to have 2 Princesses/Ambassadors and they both wore the pads to their body shape, ie the leading edge would end up down to the pad backing with the trailing end still virtually new. The first one was an N-reg ex Leyland demonstrator and the other T-reg brand new.

I have got the AP Princess 4 pots with vented discs. A previous poster was correct in saying there are two small spacers in the caliper to faciliate the wider disk. Check your run out on the disk carefully before you condemn them. I have been told that the additional braking force can manifest itself as steering wobble if the suspension and subframe mounts are very tired. Don't know if this is true or an urban myth but it came from someone in the TR trade, worth checking though.

I recently bought a set of replacement discs which looked spot on but had a small chamfer on the inner edge where they sit on the hub, preventing them seating, had them machined by a local engineer for a fiver so mustn't grumble.

Paul :D

Hi Jim, I've never had ventilated discs warp, but have with solids. I used to have 2 Princesses/Ambassadors and they both wore the pads to their body shape, ie the leading edge would end up down to the pad backing with the trailing end still virtually new. The first one was an N-reg ex Leyland demonstrator and the other T-reg brand new.

Yup had venteds warp as well, when the Capri 2.8i was current most of the Ford range could do it. As for pad shape, mine have gone down dead square (or they were the last time I looked :) ) but on a 7 they go the otherway round eg NS caliper on a Prinny fits the OS & vice versa. Not sure if that'll make a difference.

I had a 2.0Litre HLS Ital auto on an X (NMO713X) plate from new & if anything needed princess brakes that was it, pads were between 2,500-4,500 miles discs every service. But went like a train when it wasn't in the garage.

Jim