I am trying to remove the bendix pinion and the rubber / metal sleeve below from my bomb starter. The rubber has disintegrated on the sleeve. Please could anyone help? I know that there has been at least one other thread on this subject but cant understand how to do it. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Can't immediately remember how to dismantle, but I have an unused rubber drive if you need one.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Adam,

It depends on how the end nut/plate that holds it all to the end of the shaft is held in place.

There are threaded and collar with pring ring type.

Threaded you can just undo after removing the locking pin.

Collar and ring type you will need a long bolted bendix compressor, so the spring ring can be levered out.

It is worth fitting new phosphor bronze bushes in the end plates plus of cousre carbon brushes.

The other things that fail are the drive washer with a cross shaped hole in it and the bronze thrust washer. Check the springs too.

If the field coils are oil soaked they may be electrically shorting to earth.

I have the bendix tool plus a selection of NOS Lucas spares to repair these bomb type starters. I am in West London if that helps.

Peter W

Thanks Peter,

I have managed to remove a few of the items on the shaft. I am down to the spiral sleeve, before removing the washers and the rubber drive. Is the spiral sleeve meant to just slide off the shaft, or is there something hidden holding it on please?

Adam

Got the spiral sleeve off ok in the end, there was a slight burr holding it back, wound it off ok. Just wanted to make sure that I wasnt going to be pulling against something that should be removed first. Just need a new rubber drive for it now!

Hi Adam.

Have just done a search of my 4 sheds !!! & I can't find the Bl***y thing ! I know I have one, because I bought one from Peter W a few years ago - just in case. I now use a modern geared motor (had to because of new exhaust manifold in the way) so have no use for it.

I suspect Peter W may well have one at possibly a better price than Revingtons.

I know I will find it when it is too late !

Bob.

Well thanks for looking Bob, that's much appreciated. I read that someone 'repaired' one by stuffing bits of inner tube inside it to fill the gaps in the rubber and someone else welded metal across between the inner and outer sleeve to stop the loss of drive. Neither of those seem ideal, on mine there isnt really any gap to fill in the rubber and welding would get rid of the damping effect of the rubber, which I imagine was designed to be there for a reason. Peter W posted a reply yesterday, he is too far from me for collection of the part at any rate.

Adam,

I have sent you a PM.

I do not have any rubber drives available but can do almost everything else.

This includes, drive gear, bendix, spring, drive plates, thrust washers, phosphor bronze bushes, carbon brushes, field coils and brush gear end plate all new. Plus same again used. No armatures though new or used. I can source a couple of used starters of unknown condition.

Peter W

I also have two "Bomb" starters, one taken out of my car working perfectly, the other unknown state.

Bob.

(Still can't find it !)

• 3 months later...