Greetings From Oklahoma, USA

Guest lotawork

Guest lotawork

Just aquired this vechile after it sat 11 years, out in weather seems in bad shape, plan on restoring. Number four cylinder had piston frozen to cylinder wall . Can anyone tell me what A80 ----G stamped on top of piston means.

Lotawork

Howard,

And a very happy Christmas to you, too.

(Chilling with a coffee while the rest of the family get up)

I'm sorry that no one has answered your previous, as this has to be THE message borard for TRs, and there should be gurus here to answer you. I can't answer from personal knowledge, but I suspect that this is just a serial no./part no., as a +80 overbore sounds over the top.

Best wishes

John

Just aquired this vechile after it sat 11 years, out in weather seems in bad shape, plan on restoring. Number four cylinder had piston frozen to cylinder wall . Can anyone tell me what A80 ----G stamped on top of piston means.

Lotawork

Howard, firstly welcome. I suspect A80 would be some form of batch number & G might be the grade. When pistons are made they're sized & weighed and given a grade so the sets of 4 are made all the same size & weight. Normally once in service this then gets ignored & people only worry about exact weights when going racing or building performant engines. Normally replacement pistons are to with a gram or so anyway.

Must admit not got TR manual to hand but G is a bit high normally their are 4 grades a-d or 1-4.

Jim

Guest lotawork
Howard,

And a very happy Christmas to you, too.

(Chilling with a coffee while the rest of the family get up)

I'm sorry that no one has answered your previous, as this has to be THE message borard for TRs, and there should be gurus here to answer you. I can't answer from personal knowledge, but I suspect that this is just a serial no./part no., as a +80 overbore sounds over the top.

Best wishes

John

Thanks John. For the cme back. Hope you and family had great Christmas and New Year, Finally took piston to local shade tree mechanic, he mic it determined it to be standard bore, Now I can get new rings.Still lptawork needed to be done. Last project 1964 F0rd F-100 Stepside pickup took eight years Just started the 1981 TR-7

Anyway thanks Again, Howard

Guest lotawork
Howard, firstly welcome. I suspect A80 would be some form of batch number & G might be the grade. When pistons are made they're sized & weighed and given a grade so the sets of 4 are made all the same size & weight. Normally once in service this then gets ignored & people only worry about exact weights when going racing or building performant engines. Normally replacement pistons are to with a gram or so anyway.

Must admit not got TR manual to hand but G is a bit high normally their are 4 grades a-d or 1-4.

Jim

Thanks Jim for information, Hope Hollidays was great for you and family. I am new to TR-7 renovation but love challange. See my reply to John. Any way am retired now so money will not be as plentful for rebuilt, so will just take longer. Thanks again Jim, Talk to you later, Howard :)