Washer switch advice please

I've just put a new motor onto the windscreen washers, but can't get it to operate. I tried switching the ignition on and shorting across the terminals but to no effect, so I want to check the continuity of the wiring. (electrickery is not my strong point, by the way!)

I wanted to check the rocker switch, but I am not sure how to remove it. Does it just prise out of the dash with the cables attached?

Alternatively, what else should I try?

Thanks

Terry

Yes it does Terry, you will then be able to test whether you have a live supply to the switch, if thats good, then check that the supply is leaving the switch when you put the switch on, if thats not the case then you may need a new switch. If both are good, then the issues is in the wiring between the switch and the pump or the earth to the pump (assuming the new pump is good, you can always check that with two wires across the battery).

I am assuming that you have checked the fuses

Cheers Carl

Terry

Do not bank on the new pump being a good un? and never run dry.

+1, had two new "Lucas" branded items fail, and when dismantled discovered the rubber impeller was too soft to take the torque from the tags on the shaft, result, shaft spins inside the static impeller.

Ian

Well, the pump is up and working thanks. Don't know why it wouldn't work initially, but having tested everything and put it back together - hey presto

The only downside was that the switch was stuck hard to the fascia varnish and I broke the surrounds getting it off.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Terry

Well, the pump is up and working thanks. Don't know why it wouldn't work initially, but having tested everything and put it back together - hey presto

The only downside was that the switch was stuck hard to the fascia varnish and I broke the surrounds getting it off.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Terry

I hate it when that sort of thing happens!!