Voltage stabilizer

On the way to the European meeting my TR6 fuel and temp gauges stopped working. I presume the voltage stabilizer has gone again. Has anyone an idea where I can start looking for the culprit. This is the second time this year. The loom is 3 years old and seems to be O.K.

2 electrical occurances, that may have no connection with the problem.

1. The radio has a lot of interference lately.

2. The Kenlow sensor in the upper hose pipe is not reacting.

Peter,

Try checking the input voltage to the stabiliser with engine running. A high voltage could effect the stabilser. Some modern parts are of poor quality, try an old one.

Graeme Cook

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Your problem might also stem from a bad fuse. TR6 has glass fuses with metal caps at teh end and the connection internally of the fuse might be broken. Check the fuses in situ and see if you get a voltage across the fuse when in use.

I had a bad connection making one end very hot and creating half lit dash meters and low reading on the meters.

However I also have a problem with the voltage, sometimes getting as low as 12 volt, then later getting back at 14-15 volts. I am about to switch my dynamo (with built in voltage stabilizer) for another to see if that helps.

Pascal

Guys

I have had similar problem of wrong readings on the fuel and temp gauges. I put in new voltage stabiliser and checked fuses all OK. The temp goes up to hot within a minute or so and about 20 mins later goes to the mid point and stays there (thank God!) and the fuel gauge sarts at empty and eventually moves about half way (with a tap!)

Is there anything else I can check. I have to say that I did some cleaning of the dials removing bevels and glass and reassembling. Could I have done something to these dials? The other 2 had same treatment but are. OK

Any advice greatfully recieved

regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have got a new alternator and when my regulator supplier comes back from holiday I will exchange the alternator and regulator. I have check the fuses and everything on that ciruit is OK. The fuse box is new. The real question is:- why 10 years never a problem and suddenly twice inside of a few months?

With reference to the fuel gauge and temp gauge may I suggest that you could have two seperate problems in no way connected. Firstly check the tank sensor, take the wires off and look at the gauge with the ignition on. Then short circuit the two wires in the loom and switch the ignition on again and see if it reads at the other end of the dial. If not you have a problem with the sensor not the voltage regulator.

Secondly check you temperature sensor, they do go wrong. You know the normal running temperature of your engine and its position on the instrument. Take the sensor out put it into a hot water bath with a thermometer and keep on adding hot water from a kettle to the bath until it reaches the normal operating temperature for the engine. Then stick it quickly back in the hole and switch on the ignition and see what it reads. I think you will be surprised.

These jobs are easier when your better half sits in the car and looks at the instruments!! That's why we have better halves. :^  :^  :^

• 4 years later...

I think this is the longest break on any subject.

But the problem is still there.

New battery after 2 years The Ampere meter started showing anormal charging (By the way lost the 3 year guarantee paper). Thinking the battery is dead took it to the manufacturer he said the battery is on its way out. Also the generator is not supplying enough juice. You are only charging with a low 13 volts.

During the days I spent looking for the battery bill to get an exchange, the Blinker relay has given up the ghost again for about the forth time. Replaced the relay and now the fuel and temp gauges are starting to read low. Hell is it the Voltage Regulator again?.

The battery that may be on its last legs but it can churn the starter motor for 5 mins having not been charged up for 3 to 4 months. Also very little difference in the brightness of the lamps when the engine speed is higher.

So tell me lads what the hell is happening.

I had problems with my gauges and replaced the top fuse with a brand new one! Still the same problem occured, changed the voltage stab/ etc etc. turned out that the brand new fuse was duff! When changed again everything worked. How do you like them onions, good job I have lots of time to check items you would expect to work