Seeking Advice for TR7 Mod

Hi All, I'm new to the Register so I'll just throw my thoughts out there for any kind mbrs who might help. I have a 1980 TR7 with a buick 231 ci v6 engine (3.8L). I'm doing almost all the restoring myself but before I go too far, I thought it may be best to seek out this forum for those of you that have way more experience than me. Most of my questions have to do with available options for stronger or better parts due to the increased performance I have over the stock 4 cyl engine. I'll just throw out a few topics if anyone can make some good suggestions:

1. what low profile hood scoop with air filter can I bolt to a Holley carb, 4bbl? (I can get an adapter if neces)

2. what MacPherson struts to buy for the front end?

3. what rear shocks are best?

4. When I have all this apart, it would probably be wise to replace bushings and bearings right?

5. My nose is a bit crumpled (wife backed truck on it??). What's the best way to fix this or should I just find one fm a wrecker and install it?

Thx much in advance.

Mike

NS, Canada

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum.

No response doesn't mean no one is interested or willing to help............

Over here in the UK there are not that many "experts" on Buick V6 engines and I doubt if anyone has any experience of doing that conversion on a TR7 here.

The TR7 is capable of taking the Buick derived Rover V8 engine very easily, indeed Robsport and S&S Preparations are experts in this area. As the car was designed with this conversion in mind originally, the suspension and brakes are more than capable of handling that conversion, however upgrades are available as you would expect, and once again Robsport and S&S are more than qualified to offer advice and supply parts all over the world.

If you can get a copy of Roger Williams book, How To Improve TR7/TR8 (Now out of stock but copies may be available secondhand or even new if you shop around), this would be ideal for you - http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php?prod_id=V4045&prod_group=Cars%20Vans%20&%20Trucks(there are several on Amazon UK currently)

"Power is nothing without control" - make sure the handling and braking are in good order first

These are Robsport and S&S websites

Robsport Website - https://robsport.co.uk/

S&S Website - http://www.ss-preparations.co.uk/

Good luck, and let us know how you get on, you will be the expert on Buick V6 conversions

Cheers

Ian

Hi All, Plse disregard my original request for ideas. It's obviously not something most seem to keen to discuss anyway. Regardless, I've pretty much made up my mind on what I'm going to do.  Thx for reading anyway.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, The lack of replies does not mean lack of interest in your modification, its just that there is a mere one thousand TR7s left on the roads in the UK and only a minority of owners contribute to the forum.

My suggestion would be you compare the weights of your V6 with the usual UK conversion to the Buick/Rover V8. If your unit is heavier move it backwards to try to retain the car's centre of gravity.

Peter