I am looking to buy a set of "all purpose winter tyres". They should perform well in the wet, muddy (mainly asphalt) conditions and eventually grip on light snow and not too expensive. I am considering Maxpsort RB3 (as I read that Neil used them in the Monte histo once), altough they are advised for dry gravel or should I go for Emjo's or another Nora design? If RB3 which compound to choose? Any advise is welcome.

EMJO's are a good value tyre Rudi - I will run them on 3VC on the Rally of the Tests and have used them on 6VC and on BST82B.

Other tyres I have been recommended to are Dunlop SP82 (Terry Pickering uses these as a good all round tyre) but double the price of EMJO's.

i believe that Maxsport tyres are also well thought of.

Regards

Tony

Emjos seem to be great in the wet/ mud/ snow/ gunk. They are utterly **** on smooth dry tarmac though (as Andy demonstrated on the Tour of Cheshire last year where we "stopped astride the line" sideways on Oulton park - it was a bit like the old Montego car park advert, but in a better car)

adey

In agreement with all the above - currently use the 185/70 x 15 Colway Rally Plus as mud/winter tyre - has strengthened sidewalls and is considerably better than the Emjo in my estimation - they work really well on gravel, very puncture resistant - main problem is the weight, they weigh a ton and you can really feel the difference when you switch to a normal road tyre. Emjos don't have the strengthened sidewalls so are lighter. Bill Wyatt has the RB3's on his TR4 but I'm not sure what he thought of them on the Gremlin this year. El Tel does amazing things on the SP82's (Winter Trial, etc.). Maybe try talking to them about their experiences.
Guest mrodbert

When we first started out Neil Revington recomended the Colway Rally plus 185/70 15 as per Andy's mail. These are oversized by an inch, and seem to work extremely well. But they are a general purpose tyre and therefore a compromise which means they're not going to please everyone. We did a Winter Challenge and a Le Jog on them and found the extra strength and performance on wet and dry, motorway and "white" made up for the weight.

Now the question is why haven't we still got them. Oh, I remember - they were illegal and we needed an MOT in a hurry 'cause we had a rally the next day so we ended up with the only tyres that KwikFit had in the right size. "I don't know any car with that size tyres. Is it for a tractor, sir?" I don't recomend this approach.:laugh:

By the way, the Endurance Rally Association uses Collway Road Plus as their control tyre. But I guess it depends how much you value Phillip Young's point of view.

Mark

Thanks for all the replys so far. Mark, what do you mean by "the are oversized by one inch? Anouther question I have is if they will not interfere with the wheel arches (rear mainly) on my TR3A with 5.5 wires that are fitted with Revington's spacers. (now 165/80x15)

It is a pitty that Colway or Maxsport are not availible in belgium. Some types are but at a 25% higher price than in the UK. So I will have to buy them somewhere on one of my next trips to the UK.