Any experiences of AO48's

Currently having my TR6 rebuilt for fast road/track use and am pondering on tyre choice. Has anyone out there had experience of using Yokohama AO48's on a TR and if so what wee they like?

I have currently AO48 (205/50) tyres on my race car, they are great when the track is dry or lightly wet, not when it is raining.

These tyres are considered to perform a little better than the AO32 yokohama's. The compound is soft, and I suppose that they are not used on the road,although it is legal. Road use would be expensive too: 200 euro/tyre and how long would they last? But I believe  AO32 or 48 is fitted on the Lotus Elise.

Marvmul.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still pondering, I'm not to worried about wear rates as the car only does about 10K in a year but as I drive it to all the track days etc then wet performance has to be a consideration. I have been using Goodyear NCT5's (195-55) this summer which have been good on the road wet or dry and also on track in the dry but hopeless in the wet under track conditions ie pushing much harder. As I should have somewhat more grunt next year then I' thinking of moving to a 7" rim and 205's and wanted to try something more geared towards track day usage. So far trolling the net doesn't seem to have pulled up any comparative reviews between the likes of Yoko, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. Will keep trying though.

Iain.

Did you consider fitting wet tyres on the rims you have on your car now en Yokohama's on new wheels? (yoko 205 : rims of 5.5" to 7.5" are permitted, 6.5" is advised, so 7" will be good). I think yokohama's 032 or 048 won't last 10K. Perhaps

Yokohama 048 are the best performing track tyres at the moment, except for slicks of course : when you will fit less performing tyres, you probably will regret it when you are trying to improve lap times.

Hadn't really thought about it. The problem would be that I currently have 6" wires fitted and am almost certainly going to go to Minilites when I up the size of rim. I think it will be to much faffing about changing between the two types...but if anyone wanted to take a nearly new set of 6" chrome wires... The other problem is transporting a second set of wheels as I drive the TR to all the track days I attend, still I have all winter to decide what to do so no great rush.
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting back onto the original topic, I think Toyo have brought out a new track day tyre recently http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b99s698p1592

Toyo 888 looks quite good, I should think so at that price! I've used yokohama 32rs before they were really good, they've been replaced by the AO48 now? I'd imagine if you got one of the harder compound AO48s that would be a good tyre for road/track. Not sure if you can get them in 15inch but a friend of mine has Yoko A539s and they seem pretty good. How about some Goodyear eagle venturas? Reported to be a very good wet tyre. Steve

Are Venturas available again? - they were my first choice of tyre ordered from mytyres.co.uk but they were not in stock and when I checked with local tyre firms they all said they had been dropped - I think for NCT's as the replacement. The Venturas had the best all round test result from the links on mytyres.co.uk
Guest Mike Hughes
We have been using A048R's in the Race Championship this year for the first time as they are now available in 205x60/15 size. We have had very favourable reports from those competitors using them and they are a definite improvement for the early TR-6's over the previous A032R's. However while ideal for trackday use I would have thought they were a little soft for road use if you want them to last for any length of time.