Well Thought Through.

It's all right, the guy had checked the tank was nearly empty by looking down the filler using the light from a match!

(Oh yes I've seen the results of that one when I was a SHO in A&E - the guy got arsey when we were calculating his burns score to see if he merited transfer to the regional burns unit. He shut up when I reminded him he was the daft twat who checked his fuel level with a naked flame)

I was taught how to weld and braze car and m/cycle petrol tanks when I was 16/17 or so with oxy-acteylene!   It isn't as difficult nor at all dangerous if done properly.

First, almost fill empty tank, off/out of vehicle, with water (hot if possible - evaporates fuel quicker) for 1 hour or so, marking any leaks with chalk or kiddies' yellow/contrasting wax crayon any petrol should rise to surface and evaporate quite quickly (if facilities are with a steam cleaner even better).   Make sure there's no pockets of air (fuel vapour), and fill tank completely, rock around to release any air pockets.   Remove fuel cap,make sure there's water right up to the neck (with oxy-ac. light torch and apply to water in neck, if there's any petrol at all it will burn off, if not already evaporated.    Make sure there's no more than ½ cupful of water missing from the tank, turn tank so that the hole/dent etc. to be repaired is uppermost, where there will be a ½ cupful sized air pocket, to weld/braze onto as insulation from the water.   Even if a small amount of petrol were still present there will not be any explosion, it will just burn off quietly as a jet.   The dangerous situation is where there's a lot of petrol vapour which will explosively ignite.   Vapour builds up far more pressure than any liquid which will not compress.   We used to use old meat skewers from the Sunday roast as filler sticks - always been into recycling!