Looking for some help with starter motors. My car is ex USA, commission number TS59970L (although it does have the “raised hinged body” only available from TS60001). The starter motor presently in the car is the bomb type. This was not a total shock, as the car is unlikely to be original throughout (it came with spare engine, gearbox and back axle). The gearbox fitted to the car has Overdrive (it didn’t come with that option) so it was possible that the flywheel was changed at the time the gearbox was.

The starter has been quite slow turning the car over for several years, but never let me down. I’ve removed it to have a look at it (check over) and found the gear of the starter to be chewed up beyond anything I’ve seen before. I was a little worried and looked at the flywheel and fortunately the flywheel teeth look good. However the flywheel ring gear is actually the bolt on type which explains the issue a little bit for me as the bomb type motor is not the one to use with this. I’m just lucky the damage is just the starter motor gear.

My plan is to buy a Hi torque starter motor. Looking on different web sites/ parts books I have seen that I can get the motor with the 10 teeth gear required (to mate to the bolt on ring gear flywheel). But also see you can buy a spacer plate which would mean the starter motor sits a little back from the ring gear. How do I know if I need a spacer plate? Is there something visual or something I can measure to see if I need a spacer plate between the gearbox and starter motor.

Any other advice or things I should be thinking of doing/ checking.

Thanks, Neil

I don't know why you would need a spacer plate ? It sounds as if you have a late TR 3- TR 4 flywheel, & so the "Bomb" starter is definitely wrong.

The starter motors that the TR shop sell seem to be of a good quality ( I have a 9 tooth one in my '3) Give them a ring, & ask if they know anything about needing a spacer.

Bob.