Breather J type overdrive

A very well known English Triumph supplier state in their web pages that a blocked breather on a J-Type Overdrive/Gearbox combination, can cause oil leakage. I do know about the breather for the diff. and for Automatics. I have never knowingly heard of an G/B breather. As I am completely new to the J-type overdrive where should I look? (A-type for over thirty years). The gearbox has never been taken out, so it will be a fiddle in the dark with the hands, laying under the car.

Ron

Whereabouts front, back, side, middle? Can I use a bent safety pin? The previous owner has had a Ziebart done on the car. Perhaps the hole is blocked. I have G/B oil everywhere but the G/B is full!

Hi Peter,

It could also be the overdrive - it uses the gearbox oil but this unit has its own seperate oil pump to pressurise the overdrive system.  It's under pressure to allow the unit to engage.  My theory is that if it's under pressure its more lilely to leak than the gearbox  There is a flat plate on the bottom of the overdrive that contains a flter for the overdrive.  From my limited experience of crawling under the car, oil often leaks around this plate.  I've just had my gearbox and overdrive rebuilt and it still weaps lightly.  Perhaps your gasket has gone or the plate is loose?

The breather on the selector shaft (that Ron described) to the gearbox is impossible to reach without taking the transmission cover off!   It'll take longer to jack up the car and fiddle around.  Best bet is to remove cover and check its clear.  Its a tiny hole! (just like someones run a drill through the selector cover by mistake!)

Good luck!

Neil

:)

Peter, I've read somewhere that a plastic peg was stuck in the hole to prevent debris entering, a lot of these pegs got broken off flush and forgotten.   Let me have your email and I'll post you a couple of pics showing the location and hole.    Can't get the hang of posting pics in here!
Neil, you could be right the gearbox is full, the garage floor clean and the bottom of the car horrible. Unfortunately in my special case it means dropping the engine down.

I did a search but I missed this link.

Now I am wondering have I got a blocked hole? Have I got no hole. Or have I just got a leak under pressure? It going from bad to worse.

The main problem with the leak is the smell for my wife and the distruction if the rear engine mounts for me.

Hi there,

I had a problem with the gearbox/overdrive leaking badly in spite of new gaskets and seals all round. Thanks to the help of the guys on the forum, I discovered that for whatever reason, the breather hole was blocked with a plastic peg. When I initially cleaned the remote cover this just looked like a small blob of red paint and so I thought nothing of it. This peg was removed and I have had no leaks since!

Regards

Jim